Stupid GEM Module on Fords

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kcmapleman 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
HELP!!!
If I'd had a stick of dynamite today I wouldn't have a truck or an alarm anymore! All of the features of my alarm are working great until it remains armed and unattended for about an hour and then the alarm blares. I talked to the manufacturer of the alarm and they said to diode isolate the negative door pin triggers on my 2000 ford ranger. The problem is, I already have and the stupid thing still triggers the door pins!! Any suggestions?
Thanks Gene
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
yr make and model of car............
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
draasch 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
* Ford's G.E.M. May Drop A Low Signal Across The Dome Light And In Most Cases Cause A False Trigger. To Eliminate This Cut the Door Pin Trigger Wires At The G.E.M. And Insert A One-Amp Diode With Band Side Faceing Doors.Make Your Isolated Connection On The Door Pin Side. The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) is to the left of the radio.Door Pin Wires:YELLOW/BLACK (DR), GRAY/RED (PS)
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
scuba1954 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

Cutting the door trigger wires at the GEM WORKS!!!!!  I had the same problem on my 01 Ranger. After you set the alarm, in exactly 45 minutes the Alarm would false trigger. If you look in your owners manual you will see that the truck has a battery saver feature that aftere 45 minutes the truck powers down to save the battery in case the headlights or interior lights were left on. This power down process is what was triggering the alarm.  The diodes took care of my false triggering.

Chaser 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

I am having the same problem with a 2002 mustang and i have the diodes installed and it is giving me the same false alarm. I think it might be something elese.

draasch 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
this the info that i have:
***Dome Light:Ford's G.E.M. Will Drop A Low Signal Across The Dome Light And In Most Cases Cause A False Trigger. To Eliminate This Cut the Door Pin Trigger Wires At The G.E.M. And Insert A One-Amp Diode With Band Side Faceing Doors.Make Your Isolated Connection On The Door Pin Side. The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) is to the left of the radio.
are you cutting the wire at this location???
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Chaser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
I did not cut the door trigger wires instead I used a T tap connection and then connected the diode cathode(stripe) to it and the anode goes to the alarm.  This should work the same unless the diode is supposed to be placed in series with thw existing circuit.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
wrong
wrong
first of all your alarm has to have double pulde unlock and this is simple
take the unlock wire from alarm brain and two diodes.
find the drivers side pass door trigger wire.
as well as unlock wire from car. then using diodes connect the unlock wire to both the unlock wire of car and the trigger wire. after that set alarm to double pulse unlock. now check it out simple. close doors (leave windows open) and press the last two keys on the drivers door this will lock all doors . wait five minutes then reach your hand in the door and press the unlock switch if nothing happens this is good that means the gem went to sleep. now press unlock on the after market alarm and wait cause the first pulse will wake up the gem and the second pulse will unlock the doors. so it take about two to three seconds to actually unlock the doors. if this works then close it up your done. if not check to make sure the alarm is sending two pulses when you press the unlock button. also if it does not work do this alow it to remain sleeping . and press the unlock button once then again within 2 seconds this should unlock the doors if it does that mean either you did not set alarm to double pulse unlock or it does not have it in that case you will have to get a pulse generater from dei. if your using a dei alarm it is menu 2 section 10
to access it with a dei alarm
turn key on to on poss and then back off.
press valet and hold until you hear one beep and three seconds later another then press and release valet 11 times on the 11th hold it and wait for the ten beeps from siren and or ten flashes from led continue holding valet and press the unlock key on remote once. than let go of valet and turn key on then back off, you dont have to go to the gem for anything.
thats for locks
now for door triggers you have to double diode each trigger. this will only allow the negative to come from the door and not the gem,. yes it does sound out a pulse . double dioding does the same thing as if you went to the gem but it is alot easier . just double diode the trigger that means two diodes on each door trigger. since it is neggative.   take the two diodes and the side with the stripe twist it together and use a butt connector and connect the twisted side of diodes to the door trigger make sure it is the door trigger it self and not the side of the wire going to the gem. then take the remaining side of diodes and connect on the other side of factory wire
(gem side) and the other in chain to the after market alarm brain do the same for each door test and you should be all good.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
Chaser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I think i got it now.  Before I was under the impression that the pulse the gem sends was a positive one and not negative.  I wish I could find an actual schematic diagram a line diagram for this car, that way it would be alot easier.
AdamRosen 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
I am having a tremendous problem getting this setup to work in a 2003 Ford Expedition. The door switches in this vehicle show a ground when the door is closed. This is reversed from what I am used to. Any ideas? The keyless module in the unit is on the passenger side. I don't think it has a GEM that works the same way, because I am using a one pulse unlock and it works fine. Even the vehicle is left overnight.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic