icon

Installing Deck in '92 Taurus

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steev1230 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
 I am installing an older model JVC head unit into my 1992 Ford Taurus.  All of the speaker wires are hooked up correctly and I know the power, accesory and ground wires are hooked up right.  But there are four extra wires going into the car.  And when I turn on the deck it lights up for about five seconds showing the time, then turns itself off.  Im pretty sure it has to do with the extra wires, and i think one of them is for the volume control near the steering wheel but there are no wires coming out of the head to match up to the wires in the car.  Please post a message if you have any idea what needs to be hooked up to make my stereo work.
sssssss27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
My sister has a 93 Taurus I think and you don't have to hook the extra volume wires up. Tell me the colors of the wires you have left, I'll check and see how I have it hooked up in my sisters car.
Steev1230 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
The wires that are left over are (i'm colorblind so they might be a little off) blue/black, blue/red, black, blue/orange, and dark blue.  The blue/orange wire has a clip on the end of it that goes in between the two harnesses and i think the dark blue is for the volume controls near the steering wheel.
Steev1230 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

i just looked at a wiring diagram and the dark blue isnt used for anything, the wire with the clip on the end is the volume controls.

Steev1230 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone else have any info that might help?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

first off as you probably already know, you're not gonna be able to use those separate volume controls that are mounted up near the gauges, with this new JVC head unit.  Some of those extra wires are undoubtedly for this control (at least 3 of them since if I remember correctly there's the volume control, and then two separate buttons).  Just make sure that you tape each one up individually and don't make any connectiojns to it.

Same thing goes for any of the illumination wires that were not used.  Actually while I'm talking about illumination wires I should ask you...did you even hook any of those up?  Most aftermarket head units don't even have dimmer and illumination wires and usually we just end up taping off each one of the factory wires individually and not even hooking up to them.  If incorrect connections are made to these wires it can sometimes damage the vehicle so usually we don't take the risk, and unless you really really want to use your head unit's dimmer function, it's just not worth it for you to do it either.

You said it will stay turned on for about 5 seconds but then turn itself off.....will it come on again once you turn off the car and then turn it back on again?  Or does it stay dead indefinitely?  If it stays dead it could be a blown fuse. 

Also try to see if it comes back on at the same radio station that you had it on before it turned itself off.  If it resets to the default 87.9 or whatever it is, then you have a problem with your +12 volts constant wire.

I'm still  trying to think of some other possible ideas for you to try.......

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
For any head unit that is not damaged or defective, the only connections that have to be made for it to power up and stay turned on are +12 volts constant, +12 volts switched, and ground.  Any other wires in its harness are not really required, so you might want to try disconnecting all the wires except for those three I just mentioned, and see if you still have your problem.  but make sure when you disconnect the wires you tape off each wire that has bare ends as you don't want the speaker wires to touch each other.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Steev1230 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
when i turn the head on all it shows is the time and nothing else.  I hooked it up to my moms van to see if the deck was broken and it worked fine.  So I know its not the deck.
esmith69 
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  

Doing the 3-wire hookup serves other purposes besides helping to tell you whether or not it's the deck that's bad.  It lets you isolate the spot of the problem in terms of the wiring.  In other words, if you only have those 3 wires hooked up and everything works, then you tell yourself, "ok it's either something with the speaker wiring or the illumination wires or the power antenna wire".  Then you add on a wire one a time (or for the speakers wires, one pair at a time) and test the deck again to see if it works.  Keep on doing that until you've determined which wire is the one at fault.

I also forgot to ask you if the vehicle had any kind of premium sound system in it, like the jbl system?  It would say either on the sail panel speaker grilles or on the factory unit itself, if that were the case.  I'm assuming it's just the standard stock system but wanted to make sure....

Finally, even the best of us forget the simplest things every now and then, and with that being said I'll ask you.....did you remember that you have to press the source button to turn it on the first time it's hooked up?  The display will either stay blank or just the clock will be displayed, until that source button is pressed.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
Steev1230 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you so much.  I pushed the source button and the thing fired right up.  Now after you mentioned that i remember someone telling me about it but it totally slipped my mind.  Thank you again.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic