icon

A good 5x7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I need some opinions about a good quality set of 5x7s.
Someone must have heard a good 5x7.
I know its not the best shape for SQ but someone must make a good pair at a fair price.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I run Diamond Audio CM3 series 5X7's in my Explorer. They do a real good job, great power handling and not bad on price. Personally i heard no difference with these and the 6 1/2's. I also listened to some Eclipses, they were sweet too, dont know the model #'s for those though.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

My favorite sounding 5X7 is the Infinity Kappa 572.5.  Ceramic cone woofers and ceramic dome tweeter, external X-overs, swivel tweeter for imaging.  And at $179 list ($80 on the Internet) per pair, they are a sweet deal. 

The Infinty Reference series, by the way, does not hold a candle to the Kappa SQ-wise.

Spectre 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

JL Audio XR570Cxi, I am of course biased to JL equipment but for 5x7's...........  Thats the way I would go!

Had these in my 2000 Explorer, for my rear speakers.  They did a great job!

The Angel Of Death Has You!
Spectres Own The Night!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest some MB Quart DKD 157 with a name like MB Quart you know your going to get SQ and the price is very attractive. But those Diamond Audio's that tdsteele suggested above are some nice speakers as well.
Tcole 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think I can get my hands on Diamond products.
I could probably get MB s or Infintiys.
OR
I was thinking about converting the opening in the front door for a 5.25. I had my eyes and ears fixed on a set of Focal Coaxials or a pair of Bostons. The Focals were a bit expensive but I am sure they would be worth it.
Thanks
Any other opinions??
By the way the car is a 94 Nissan Altima, the low end is figured out but I am still trying to figure out what to use as a head unit and front door spkrs.(thinkin about Premier head unit)
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
If you’re not looking for a lot of mid bass then you could convert them to a 51/4. Focal makes some nice speakers there among one of my favorite manufactures. But if you do go for the 51/4 I would suggest that you go for a component set rather than a coaxial. I’m not a huge fan of Boston don’t think they are that great and they are not worth the money. I would suggest you go with Focal, MB Quart or Diamond Audio.
Tcole 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
Since the topic was brought up, what is the quality of coaxials now as compared to even 2 years ago???
I am starting to lean towards a good set of coaxials.
My opinion is that top companys are putting out some pretty impressive coaxials. Example Focal coaxs.
I've heard some good high end coaxs and man some of them sound sweet.
What does everyone else think?????
Am I wrong??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic