viper 3203 start kill harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zuky 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I've used the many forums previously posted on the correct wiring for the Viper 3203 security system and it has been most helpful. I installed it in a 1990 Suzuki Samurai and the reason I chose the 3203 was for the D2D port for the motion detector add on feature being the Samurai has a soft top.
The only part of the system I cannot get to function is the starter kill. There are three wires in the Viper harness;
1 GREEN / WHITE - starter-common (key side)
2 green       - starter-normally open (motor side)
3 GREEN/ black - starter-normally closed (motor side)
I located the ignition start wire from the ignition switch (BLACK/ red), cut the wire and connected the switch side to the GREEN / WHITE of the Viper and the GREEN/ black to the wire going to the starter.
With the system armed, there is continuity through the circuit meaning the vehicle can still be started with the system armed. Also, there is continuity through the circuit when the alarm is activated. I rechecked to make sure I had the correct starter wire and yes, when it's open, there is no starter engagement.
This is where I don't understand how the system should work. I thought when the system was armed or activated, it would open the starter circuit not allowing the vehicle to start.
Can someone please clarify that I have or have not connected the starter kill correctly. Or explain how exactly this feature works.
Thanks in advance.
Calvin
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not familiar with this system, but have you tried disconnecting the GREEN/ black starter wire altogether? Will it still start?
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
freqsounds wrote:
I'm not familiar with this system, but have you tried disconnecting the GREEN/ black starter wire altogether? Will it still start?
Wait, I may be confused. Let me study this diagram a little more.
zuky 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
With the GREEN/ black wire disconnected from the starter wire, the starter will not engage. It is my understanding that the Viper 3203 should interrupt this circuit when armed?
Calvin
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have both the green and GREEN/ black wires connected motor side?
According to the manual, the default is normally closed. I would try connecting only the GREEN/ black to the motor side of the starter wire. I'm assuming the alarm will switch this relay when the system is armed, sending the starter signal to the normally open wire. If this is the case, tape off the green wire as it won't be needed.
zuky 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Initially I had the GREEN/ black wire to the starter and with the system disarmed, armed or activated the starter would still engage. I then removed the GREEN/ black and attached the green wire to the starter wire and the starter will not engage with the system disarmed or armed. Basically, I always have continuity through the system from the GREEN / WHITE wire to the GREEN/ black wire. I never have continuity from either GREEN/ black or GREEN / WHITE to green.
Calvin
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2014 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Here is the diagram from the manual:
viper 3203 start kill harness -- posted image.
It's probably not going to show that well.
But the GREEN/ black wire is correct.
Here's a question though. If you arm the vehicle, reach inside, unlock the door and try to start it, does the starter engage as the alarm is going off? If you're in the car when you arm it, it may be working properly because a zone would have to be violated for the cutout to work. I'm not sure that it monitors the key cylinder as a 'zone'.
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I always wire 3203/3303 as normally open. Just one question have you connected the yellow ignition stand off wire?
If you don't not only will you be able to activate the alarm with the engine running but the starter cut won't work.
Test before boxing up.
zuky 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Connecting the yellow wire of the auxiliary harness fixed my problem! I thought that harness was only for communicating with a factory system but you obviously know better. Thanks a bunch guys, your knowledge and assistance is greatly appreciated.
Calvin

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic