aftermarket backup sensor so loud

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2014 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hi folks,
So I bought this backup sensor from Amazon and installed it on my car.
here's the link
The problem is that it's so LOUD! Instead of wiring it to the backup lights, I just installed it to an on/off switch so I can use it when I want. If you look at the pictures, the last picture is of the LED display. That is where the little speaker resides that beeps. I opened it up to see what it looks like, and the little speaker is soldered to the circuit board.
Any ideas on how to control the volume of the speaker? Potentiometer? Rheostat? Please don't say to just put a piece of tape over it :-) I actually did that, and it's still loud.
Any ideas would be great?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2014 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I usually put tape over the buzzer/speaker hole/grille.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2014 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Start with scotch tape, then if that does not deaden it enough try a couple layers of electrical tape. And then there is always Duct Tape.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I was looking more to "control" the volume rather than just muffle it. I was hoping someone was going to say I could unsolder the speaker from the board, solder in a wire with the speaker attached, and then put in a rheostat/potentiometer to control the volume.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
cpgoose, yes, you can do it as you described with an L-Pad. Your local Radio Shack will likely have what you need for under $5.00.
aftermarket backup sensor so loud -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2014 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much! If you don't mind, two more follow-up questions - I'm very new to this portion of electronics.
1) Do I need to know the ohms and wattage of the speaker on the circuit board in order to pick out the L-pad, or does it not matter since it's a tiny speaker?
2) Also, once I remove the speaker from the circuit board, any tips on the next step? Can I solder actual wire to hang off the board?
Thanks so much!
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2014 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
I scanned the board so you could see. The 2nd and 3rd images are the same, I just labeled the 3rd one.
You can see the tiny speaker in the first image. In the 3rd image I labeled what I think are the two terminals for the speaker. What's strange (to me at least) is that it looks like the board's inner wiring only goes to one of the speaker terminals and not both.aftermarket backup sensor so loud -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 05, 2014 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
There is a trace under the buzzer. One terminal is fed from the bottom of the board. The other is fed from the top side.
Before you go and try to reinvent the wheel, a layer or 2 of scotch tape will work wonders.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2014 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
One last follow-up question: The wires for each of the 4 sensors are a little too short. I cut the connector off one of them and there are two wires inside with silver shielding. Any tips on how to extend these wires without losing the shielding capability? I've never extended shielded wire before.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2014 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Mr. I Aka how to ruin a perfectly good back-up device.
Alternatives to tapes..
Relocate behind the panel
Put a sock in it, over it etc.
OP next time you're reversing in a strange place with the music at a high volume and you hear a crashing sound please ask your self why you wanted to make it quieter.aftermarket backup sensor so loud -- posted image.
As Mr. I said this site is full of people trying to re-invent the wheel who also don't look at the archives.
And aren't you skinny now Mr. I.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic