the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2014 mercedes sprinter alarm issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
desh187 
Copper - Posts: 310
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed keyless upgrade alarm (Omega Ultimate EDP) on a few 2014 Mercedes Sprinters.
Alarm works fine but one of the vehicles went to Mercedes for loss of power and the technician has advised on not using power or ignition wires from anywhere except from under drivers seat where the fuse box is.He said that wiring it elsewhere will damage on board modules.
I dont believe that is possible as even DEI and Omega locations are what i have used.
Would really appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
What can I say, listen to the manufacturer's tech they know the vehicle and are the ones who have to do the warranty work.
Curious was your installation found to be the cause or related to the loss of power issue?
desh187 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Loss of power was another issue not related to alarm but when Tech saw aftermarket alarm he predicted this
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Rubbish, done loads of late sprinters using DEI 3303 and DB-ALL/DB-ALL2/trackers with immobilisation.
Some points of interest.
Related to right hand drive but you can mirror this. Also assuming 14 is the same as 13.
All the CAN wires for that model are commoned on the left outboard of the glove box, in fact there's a loom above the glovebox it contains the BROWN / red hi and brown lo CAN wires 12V+ red and NEG brown as well.
Ignition is sourced from the CAN but can also be sourced at the OBD socket. Black primary colour, test.
Starter cut is in the engine bay loom coming through the bulkhead.
PURPLE / black. If you're using an outboard starter cut relay there's also a live whilst cranking ignition wire in that loom again black primary. Do not attempt starter cut anywhere else, DTCs and diagnostic testing will go loopy.
Don't use a roof mounted 508d or similar you will get constant falsies including any passing vehicles and the International Space Station.
Use Ultrasonics and or glass breaker.
desh187 
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yes exactly agree with u but i hate it when mechanics assume everything and tell everyone scaring customers who dont want anything aftermarket
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Customer recently called in a panic, said we installed an R/S plus security in his Nissan whatever, one of the SUVs any way key start doesn't work but remote start does. Simple I said, any ignition lights on with the key? No.
Right check fuse marked BATT or IGN under hood adjacent to battery, if OK check ignition.
Next day I get a call from a Nissan dealership asking the same stupid questions. I asked them the same simple questions to be told no we thought it was the alarm. I was reasonably diplomatic as in don't you have a qualified sparks how dare you blame us, we're talking about a 5 minute test here. Never heard from them again.
2 rules here I'm sure Catback will agree.
Don't let the dealer think he knows more than you.
Make them put what they say in WRITING. They will usually back off at that point.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Don't let the dealer think he knows more than you.
Make them put what they say in WRITING. They will usually back off at that point.
Wish I could agree but I side with the dealer. They know the vehicle better and have the factory wiring diagrams and service manuals to prove it. They also have a wealth of prior knowledge of aftermarket installer f ups and recommendations for aftermarket equipment installs stem from this and are manufacturer supported.
From a business standpoint, following their guidelines or asking them the best way to do something and then getting them to sign off on the plan is a great relief in liability. Having Mercedes fix those sprinters is expensive, so what you don't want is to have the chance of mercedes telling your customer the aftermarket device was responsible for whatever breaking the sprinter and that it's not covered under warranty. At that point your customer will be coming after your company to pay for the repair, and you see where this is going. But, if you have a manufacturer approved installation then your company can't be singled out as sole liability.
In short, CYA (Cover Your Ass)
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Following on from what Catback said first and I should have asked, were these alarms CAN or hardwired.
Secondly dealer knowledge of vehicle.
Frankly I don't agree with that any more, the knowledgeable 45 year old who knows that vehicle inside out doesn't exist.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Secondly dealer knowledge of vehicle.
Frankly I don't agree with that any more, the knowledgeable 45 year old who knows that vehicle inside out doesn't exist.
Even in that regard the dealer tech knows more than you about the vehicle, they touch it more than you and get all the manufacturer training and goodies that come with being a manufacturer authorized tech.
Also fleet vehicles are different than consumer cars, the techs that work on them do become very familiar with the vehicle whether they be the dealer service tech or the aftermarket installer that installs and services a fleet.
The guy was giving you sound advice, take it how you will. He doesn't gain anything either way, he's just being nice.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm - that sounds as if qualified mechanics know what they are talking about. I know of way too many exceptions.
But maybe Mercedes dealerships are different?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic