icon

Series or Paralell?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
To my understanding, cars which have 6 speaker systems run the front 4 speakers from the front 2 channels.  Since that means 2 speakers are running off 1 channel, are those speakers wired in series or parallel?
Like I mentioned before, I'm upgrading the speakers in my Town Car and I'm trying to decided how to wire them, and whether I can use my amp to push them or not.
Thanks!
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
It depends on what is pushing them, and what the speakers are. If you get a component set, I believe most of them have a total ohm load of 4ohms. If you're adding tweeters to existing stock speakers then I'd need to know which make/model tweeters and what is being used to drive them (headunit or amp, and the make/model number).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
luxuryrules 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
The HU puts out 24wpc rms.  I wason considering two things.  One, just get rid of the dash speakers and put components in the doors.  Or two, replace all the door and dash speakers with coaxes.  If I did option two, since I'd be dealing with multiple speakers on one channel, I would use the amp (Lanzar Vibe 420, the 800w version) to provide sufficient power to both.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of head unit is it?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

It depends upon how many ohms the speakers are and the lowest independence the amp can handle. If you give us the model #'s or specs of your speakers and your amp we can tell you how to wire them. But in most cases speakers are 4 ohms and the amp will support a 2 ohm load on each channel and you wire them in parallel.

luxuryrules 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
The HU is a Panasonic CQDP133U, the amp is a lanzar vibe 420, stable at 2 Ohms.  All the speakers I'm using are 4 Ohms.  I'm looking at Infinity 3.5's in the dash rated for 35w rms and Pioneer 6.5's in the doors at 60w rms.  What worries me is overdriving those Infinities.  Specifically, if the speakers are wired in parallel that presents the amp with a 2 Ohm load, which brings it up to 125wpc rms .  At 62.5w per speaker rms I'm going to blow up those 3.5's.  However, if I just run them from the HU and they are in parallel that presents my HU with a 2 Ohm load and increases the power, let's just assume to 35wpc rms.  That means 17.5w per speaker, which clearly won't destory them but is not an impressive number.
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
If you are using 4Ohm speakers, and the amp is Stable at 2, then you Parellel the two 4ohm speakers. . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic