the12volt.com spacer
icon

Latching relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
handsy 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handsy
Ok I just got a relay out. I have wired it up as the first post. There is not live from 56b only perm live all the time on 56a? It was latching on and off when on a bench
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
I was once confused by that relays info. Some said it was 56a live permanently with 56b as a (latching) on-off whereas other said it was a typical (headlight) latcher - ie, 56a else 56b.
Of course I can't see the point of the former.
IMO if it's permanent 56a then the coil is not activating else the relay has failed.
handsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handsy
Switching is achieved by using a single electrical pulse across the coil terminals 30 (12V +) and S (to switch or ground -) to energise the internal coil and is triggered by the use of a momentary on-off switch, which reduces the time duration the switch is kept closed, the pulse pulls the coil in to switch the circuit from 56 (+feed) and 56a (+feed) to 56 (+feed) and 56b (+feed or not connected for off), once the momentary on switch is pressed again the coil is energised again and the circuit switches back to 56 and 56a.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Nicely pasted from thetoolboxshop.com.
I wonder if anyone can translate or simplify what that means? (Especially wrt to BOTH diagrams - ie, their schematic versus the relay housing's schematic.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
It ain't a turn on/turn off device it's a latched changeover device, identical to Mr. Ween's famous Hella headlight relay, in normal use, an electrical dip switch.
Not exactly what I believe our OP intends to use it for, still running with an Omron latcher and a mini cube, much simpler and fail safe.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
I interpret it as a dip switch aka changeover or normal SPDT but mechanically latching despite the contradictory to most relay pic & circuit diagram shown on thetoolboxshop which is like the DNI 0127 (111-941-583) shown on thesamba.com (maybe causing the "permanent" thruput confusion?) - VIZ:
Latching relay - Page 2 -- posted image.
Yet another example of a site I wouldn't use, not that I find Durite's info much good either - eg, why not include in their 0-740-95 datasheet that's it's a 7 minute delay instead of emphasising or confustigating with their "individually programmed ‘PIC’ controlled timer"; or do they tailor each relay or enable user programming? IMO a lack of specification & clarity - as if not including coil resistance or current isn't bad enough.
I seem to be copping a lot of those dubious sites lately... Maybe I need to reOxygenate myself?
handsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handsy
http://r./sehMjF
So this?
handsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handsy
http://r./sehMjF
handsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handsy
Link not working. Can someone tell me where in uk I can get the bistable latching relay which the instruction to my wheel says? Is that the omron you are suggesting? What a mini cube?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I told you where to look.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic