Buying a CD Player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tulseciffo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm just looking for some help.  I've never bought car audio equipment before.  I'm buying a 1997 Chevy Blazer that only has AM/FM casette.  I would like to add a CD player and perhaps a multi-disc changer.  I don't want to go into the audio store with no background knowledge.  What questions should I ask the dealer or what do I have to know before I go in.  I know this is fundamental, but I just don't want to get taken advantage of. 

Thanks,

Angel

Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
It all depends on your application. If you are going to be using the deck to power your speakers you will want a head unit with a good amplifier(quality power). You may want one with a MOSFET power supply or V-Drive(Alpine). If you are using seperate amplifers you will want a head unit that has Pre-outs. Most head units come with anywere from 1 to 3 pre-outs, your application will determine how many you need. If the unit has lets say 3 pre-outs the unit usually has crossovers built into the unit. These allow you to specify what freq. range a certain amplifier will get.
I could probably go on forever explaining but those are just some fundementals to get you started.
I just bought a Pioneer Premier unit and I must say I am blown away. It is the best head unit I have ever purchased.
If you have anymore specific questions let us know. Someone will help you out.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

If you have never bought car stereo before, KEEP IT SIMPLE TO START WITH.   Here's my suggestions:

1. Decide before you go into the shop how much money you have to spend.  You will need anywhere between $150 and $1000 for a good quality head unit and anywhere between $100 and $1500 for good quality speakers.  And of course, as with most things in this world, the sky is the limit and you largely get what you pay for.  I would suggest, though, that unless you need to thump the block or unless you are a true audiophile, for $300 to $500 total you can replace your factory radio with good quality equipment and be happy with the results.

2. Go to a good car stereo shop.  Look at and listen to everything the store has on display.  Play with the units.  Decide on a head unit (CD player) you like that is within your budget.  Get one with plenty of rated power (like 50 watts per channel.)  Ask about if it is expandable (IE: if you want to add subwoofers or extra amps, will it allow it - this is the "pre-outs" discussed above) and get one that DOES have pre-outs.  You never know what the future will bring!

3.  Replace your factory speakers with some good quality co-axials.  The factory junk in your truck will sound even worse with the new head unit.  In your 1997 Blazer there are 6 1/2" in the doors and 4X6" in the dash.

4.  Get the shop to install everything.  Many commercial shops offer "free" installation.  Be prepared for $35 to $100 extra for this "free" installation, as your truck will require a dash adapter kit to properly mount the head unit.

5.  MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS before you leave the shop.  Take along a favorite CD.  Start the truck and listen to it.  Turn it up.  Make sure there are no hums, rattles, buzzes, etc.  If there are, get the supervisor of your shop to come listen to it and get them to fix it before you leave.  Once you leave the shop, most problems will become YOUR problem.

Enjoy!

luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

These guys pretty well covered it, but I'll throw in my two cents anyways...

The best advice, which was already stated, was to decide how much you are going to spend before you go in.  Then, think of a few features you are looking for.  For example, when I bought mine I already knew I wanted a remote control, a knob for the volume instead of buttons, and 2 or 3 pre outs.  If you don't plan on adding any external amps, then don't worry about pre outs.  When you go into the store, like they said bring in a cd of your own to play.  Plan on spending some time in there playing with the stuff on display.  Look for one that is styled to your liking, priced within your range, and has the features you want.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic