the12volt.com spacer
icon

Small Rocker Switch Panel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2015 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Last year I installed wireless remote switches for my three front-end lighting systems (twin driving lights, single H.I.D. pencil beam & 30-emitter LED lightbar)
At the time I was trying to avoid penetrating the firewall with wires...and I talked myself into believing that occasionally I would find it nifty to activate the exterior lighting with a hand-held remote fob whilst outside the truck. This has proven to be a poor idea for two reasons:
1) the range on the remotes is pathetic
2) the wireless switches do not include an indicator light (and I didn't think to install one) which results in my accidentally activating the twin driving lamps (which are covered) instead of the lightbar (the button for which is 3mm away from the other one)
All in all a poorly thought-out process, and one that I want to overhaul/improve.
I am now contemplating the installation of more traditional rocker (toggle) switches in the cab -- I need four for sure, and will likely allow for a fifth just in case -- and I'm pondering the best place to install them, and the best choice of size&shape.
So far, I am thinking I'd like to drill four holes into the radio surround bezel in vertical alignment, and utilize small round illuminated rocker switches...
But I have found small aluminum switch panels online that have the four switched pre-installed. These look like a neat idea, and allow for labels beside or above each switch. Some of them have separate "power on" indicator lights instead of illum. rockers.
The difficulty I'm having is that the aforementioned panels are precisely that - flat panels - which therefore require a porthole behind them to allow for the depth of the switches/lights and wiring. I'm not about to carve a rectangular porthole in my dashboard, and I don't want to mount a panel on the lowest edge so that it dangles above my knees.
That leaves a metal or plastic box/frame/stand-off of some kind. I'm not skilled at fabbing things like that, and even if I were I'm not sure I'd like the way it looked. AND I'd have to drill several mounting holes in the dash.
Fussy - I know.
But there are some extraordinarily clever gents on here...and I'm wondering if anyone has an alternative suggestion(?) Please.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Hi,
Any locations available up high? Overhead console, sunglasses holder,
maybe retrofit something from an Explorer? Mazda Pickup?
Of course up high towards the windshield would allow toggles or rockers.... rockers being non-protruding could be used farther rearward.
Mark
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2015 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Hi Mark - thanks for shouting out! I have a dead-smooth headliner; no console - no sunglasses holder - nothing. I'm intrigued by the retrofit console idea, though!
I have been longing to sort the set-up for the three cig lighter cord devices that I have high on the windshield. At this time I have a huge bundle of wires tie-wrapped to the passenger's grab handle. I bought a dual power point outlet (hard-wired) that I have been meaning to mount on the rear wall of the cab...and fish the device cords above the headliner and down the back wall to plug 'em in there. Perhaps I can combine these two adventures! Sounds like a good idea!
I will look into some sort of roof console from a similar vehicle.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic