icon

how do i install my cd player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onewhoneedshlp 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have a brand new cd player and kit to install based on the year and make of my car by scosche (I think thats how u spell it)... I wirered the install kit to the cd player wires respectivly as they should be and have double checked my work a couple of times... I taped all the wires so no wire is touching another so everything is nice ans smooth. but when connected to the car and then the cd player nothing happens... the unit won't turn on... the radio fuse is good and the battery works just fine.. when the original tape deck is reinstalled it works just fine.. if there is anyone out there with answers to my problems or with advice no matter how insignificant could u please respond... thank you...
aim- shatteredarkness
yahoo- aurorasentinel
the car i an trying to install on is a 1989 firebird if thats helpful to anyone...
thanks for your replys and answers
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Did you double check your connections with a dmm? Did you make sure that your power wires are sending 12volts to your head unit? Check your ground?
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure the aftermarket unit's ground connection is good.  Sometimes factory head units will be able to use the antenna cable as a ground but when you try to install an aftermarket head unit it will need to have a true ground hooked up.

The ground should be the black wire coming out of the harness, and in that vehicle i'm pretty sure all you have to do is hook it up to the wiring harness you got from Scosche and it should do the trick. Of course, look at the factory plug to make sure that there is in fact a wire coming out of that corresponding pin, into the vehicle.  If there is no wire present then you'll have to run the aftermarket's black ground connection to somewhere else behind the dash. Usually a spot of bare metal will work but again use a multimeter to verify this.

When you test for 12 volts (constant and switched), make sure you do it on the aftermarket head unit's side of the wiring--that way you'll know if the connections you made are good or if maybe they came loose.

oh yea also just to make sure, did you press the "Source" or "on" button on the aftermarket deck?  Almost all head units require you to manually turn it on when it's hooked up, regardless of whether or not it is getting the +12 volts switched signal.  After that initial power-on though, it will turn itself on and off with the car like normal.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
 if after you have tryed all the stuff esmith69 said to try and you still have nothing take it back to the place you got it from and get a new unit. ever one puts out a lemon once in a while. i think its your ground myself. make sure your ant is pluged in as well.
Big Dave
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah like esmith said it might just be that you didn't turn your unit on . . . happened to me a while back.  Let us know what happens.
onewhoneedshlp 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
hey everybody here thanx my ground was bad... my cd player works fie now... i really appreciate all the help I got here... thank you...
thanks for your replys and answers
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
No problem, glad to help.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
we live for this s#@t
Big Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic