the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper brain died, can I just remove it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stumasters 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumasters
Hey folks. I've been browsing around to try and find an answer to my issue for some time, and have often frequented this site for information.
I am working with a 2002 Honda CR-V LX 2 wheel drive, which came with an aftermarket key-less system when we purchased it.
Some time ago, for a Christmas gift (4) years or so back, I decided to snag a Viper key-less/remote start setup, which I think is the 5101 but don't know for sure as I didn't keep the box it came in. It is a 1 way system and the pictures I found online of both the box and fobs look identical, as does the description.
Anyway, I had some subsequent issues with the driver side door lock actuator (which failed) about a year after it was installed. I replaced the actuator myself following how-to's and it worked fine for a little while. Nearly 2 years in the unit began to stop unlocking, but it would lock and start. Then a little later it stopped locking, then stopped starting.
I spoke to one of the installers at Best Buy, and they told me they thought the brain of the unit probably had some issues or had died, and to bring it in. If it wasn't under warranty I would have to pay for a replacement or etc.. So there's more money wasted in my opinion.
So after eating about 300 bucks on the install and getting only 2 years of use, I just resorted to having no key-less or start, and started using the lock cylinder in the door.
Well, to make a long story short, I want to regain at least key-less entry control, because the lock cylinders in the Honda's have some issues of their own, and become nearly unusable after heavy key use. I am planning on replacing my cylinder and actuator again this week.
My main concern is how to go about fixing my situation. I am not sure if i just pull the Viper unit out, if any negative issues will arise from that, or if I need to try and obtain a refurbished brain, or if I can even fix and re-program it myself. Or will just leaving it in there hurt anything?
I am great with car audio, but when it comes to under dash wiring, I'll pass.
The Honda factory unit is only 80 bucks shipped, and literally just plugs into an existing harness. I would almost just order this and plug-and-play it back to working order, but I am not sure if the old Viper unit will conflict with it, or etc..
I hope that makes sense. Guess I need to know my best option to regain key-less control of my vehicle.
stumasters 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumasters
Correction, the Viper unit is a 5102. Sorry.
stumasters 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2016 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumasters
No one knows how to uninstall a viper remote start and retain factory operation? Why isn't there more information online about the reverse process....
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2016 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chev104275
Find the brain follow the wiring back to where it's tied in. remove the connection and tape up the factory wiring.
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic