the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 Jeep Commander Stereo Color Coding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morgantician 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2015 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote morgantician
Hi all. I have a 2008 Jeep Commander with no nav and no Boston Acoustics stereo (totally stock) that I am replacing with a Pioneer AVH270BT aftermarket stereo. The manual for the new stereo spells out the new color coding for it's wiring harness, but I am having trouble figuring out my vehicle wiring to it.
All of the diagrams I'm finding online differ from what I have. I believe I've deduced the speaker wiring colors correctly, and the black is pretty much always ground, but I have RED, WHITE, ORANGE / WHITE, GREEN/ BROWN, GREEN/ ORANGE and GREEN / WHITE that I am unsure of. The red is about one gauge larger wire than the rest, so I can probably safely assume that is my constant 12v. Does anyone know for sure what is what? I have traced the stock harness backwards and found no other connectors or splices which may have altered the wiring coloring.
For the record, I am an electrician and have thorough experience with wiring. I do not want to spend $100+ on a wiring harness when I know the correct way to splice wires together.
Thank you for any help!
morgantician 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote morgantician
Here are a few pics of the harness connectors which connected to the stock stereo unit (I was the idiot who cut the wires prematurely, and had to splice them back together to get the old stereo to work again until I figured out the new one).2008 Jeep Commander Stereo Color Coding -- posted image.2008 Jeep Commander Stereo Color Coding -- posted image.
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2016 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dasbogie
the heavier red is your constant 12v and the heavier black is your ground. The white, WHITE/ orange are you canbus wires. The greens and grays are your 4 speaker wires. Metra makes a harness, the xsvi-6522 which will provide you a switched turn on for your new radio. If you do not wish to buy the "expensive harness" you could always run your own switched power.
Advanced
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2016 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
The cigarette lighter can be used as a source for switched (Accessory) power.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2016 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Metra 70-6522 retails for 20 dollars. As suggested above you will still have to use the cig lighter for switched. If your cig lighter is constant, there is a fuse in the fusebox that has to be moved to make it switched.
morgantician 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2016 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote morgantician
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I don't want to waste my time with an adapter if I don't have to (especially because I've already cut the wires and spliced them haha). So, with this particular Pioneer unit, it doesn't appear that it is compatible with the CAN bus. I'll post a pic below from the manual on the connections, but in addition to the switched 12v, I also need a wire detecting reverse, parking break, and from the amp. Am I wrong in assuming the CAN bus will have to be capped off and I'll have to run new wires to these things?
Also, with the original stereo, I have backup assist but no camera. So when something is close the stereo cuts out and it beeps. I found a wiring list finally, and it looks like the connector in the second pic (with g/wht, g/br, g/r) is the camera send, return, and shield. Any advice for how or where this will connect with the new unit?
Thanks for all your help!
morgantician 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2016 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote morgantician
2008 Jeep Commander Stereo Color Coding -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic