the12volt.com spacer
icon

Car does not start or crank. Fuses not blown

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dongali 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dongali
First off, I'm going to start to say that I'm an idiot for not disconnecting the battery before working on the car- this could have been avoided entirely.
I was finishing up a remote start install on a 2012 Camry and I accidentally had an exposed wire touch a metal part of the car which caused a nice spark. The exposed wire was t-tapped to the green constant power wire in the ignition harness.
Now, the car will not start when I try to crank it.
-Turning the key to ON/ACC will not turn on all the lights on the dash like it normally does
-I have tried connecting Techstream/OBDII to diagnose but it does not detect the ECU
-Car does not crank- engine does not repond/make any sound when turning key
-The radio works normally
-Door warning chime works
-Headlights and interior lights work
I have looked at the fuses under the dash and under the hood but none of them are blown.
The green wire for constant 12v in the ignition harness is cold, what could be the cause of this?
Here is the wire chart for the 2012 Camry.
http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp?action=select&yr=26280&product=Remote%20Start&make=Toyota&model=Camry
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
There is a 20 dollar or so fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Take a picture of the fuse box and I can tell you where it is.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/Toyota-Camry-Fuse-Box-Location/Toyota-Camry-Fuse-Box-Location-112.jpg
It is one of the 2 long black things running left to right in the above picture. I am pretty sure it is the one that the nut is connected to.
dongali 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dongali
Yeah I was just thinking about what that black thing was. But I wasn't able to pull it out, probably have to remove some screws/nuts.
I was guessing maybe the 120a alternator fuse was blown.
Here is a diagram of the fuse box
http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/Toyota-Camry-Fuse-Box-Location/Toyota-Camry-Fuse-Box-Location-114.html
Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Yes you will have to remove the nut. The Grey piece to the left of the picture is a lift to release the fuse. Lift it up and it will lift the fuse out of the holder. Your local Toyota dealer should have it in stock.
dongali 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dongali
I went to the dealer to buy the fusible link and they quoted me $33... I told them why does it cost 3x more than on toyota parts websites and they lowered it to $21. Seriously can't trust dealers these days.
Ill be getting the fuse tomorrow and hopefully that'll fix the problem.
Do you think I might have damaged the ECU from that spark?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Probably only the fuse.
dongali 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dongali
Culprit was a blown fuse but not just any fuse. It's the starter fuse in the fusible block assembly under the hood and it's a HUGE PITA to get out. I had to dissemble the entire fuse box and there is no documentation online for the 7th gen Camry. There are some guides online for the 6th gen Camry but it doesn't quite apply to the 7th gen.
Toyota seems to have actually made it harder to to dissemble the 7th gen fuse box. After dissembling the fuse box, there is barely any space to work with and to top it off, the fusible block assy is bolted in by 2 nuts instead of just 1 like in the 6th gen (which are extremely hard to get at, one of them is not visible and the other one is blocked by a plastic shield- wth Toyota?). I guess Toyota must have really not wanted people to with mess with it to make it this hard to get at...
Probably going to tow it to the dealer to have them have a go at it
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2016 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I've noticed this as a trend in new vehicles, making all the fuseboxes hard to get at.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic