the12volt.com spacer
icon

Kenwood SWC Wire vs 3.5mm Phono Jack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
illladelph 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
I am trying to install a Kenwood radio and it has a SWC wire (blue / YELLOW) rather than the more traditional 3.5mm jack that most other manufacturers use.
As a result, I am having trouble hooking up an RF remote module that only has a 3.5mm stereo jack and I am wondering if I can just solder on a 3.5mm female jack to the blue / YELLOW wire (I would assume it would require a ground as well)
If so, does anyone know the pinout for the stereo jack?
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The center conductor (The tip) of the 3.5 is the wire you need. Metra and PAC steering wheel control modules come with the 3.5 to single wire adapter.
illladelph 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
So I went ahead and bench tested it by using a jumper wire with alligator clips from the tip to the SWC wire on the kenwood but was unable to get any response from the RF remote button presses.
I also tried to connect with tip to SWC and sleeve to ground and nothing also. I made sure the remote was paired and it has a status LED that was on so I know its working.
What is the signal supposed to be for the SWC cable? Variable resistance/voltage/etc?
illladelph 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
I see now the voltage changes with output on the tip with button presses.
I will retry to connect the swc wire and see if I have a response, but I am thinking maybe it is different because this is a marine radio not a car one, although I would think it would be the same.
illladelph 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
So I got it hooked up to the kenwood marine radio 315bt but I get no response from the button presses.
I checked the output voltage and it does in fact change the output with button presses to the blue / YELLOW wire from 0.5v to 4v depending on the button but nothing seems to happen on the radio.
Maybe the voltages it's looking for are different but I am surprised not even one button does anything to the radio in terms of vol/seek/src etc
If anyone has some insight Id appreciate it as if I can't figure this out I'm going to have to buy the $60 kenwood wired remote and I really wanted this rf wireless one I had to work.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Is there a radio type selection switch? JVC, Alpine, Clarion and Kenwood all use the same type system. Pioneer and Sony also use the same type system. Some control modules will figure out what type of radio it is connected to, others require you to select the type.
illladelph 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
The remote is a west marine rf 30:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--rf30-wireless-rf-remote-control-kit--14286819?recordNum=3
It seems after looking at the description it's only meant for some west marine radios.
So at this point it would require some kind of remapping circuit, which I'm capable of making if you happen to know the different voltages the kenwood is looking for when the buttons are pressed.
illladelph 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote illladelph
Looks like this may be the same as well
http://store.dualav.com/p/mrf40-marine-rf-remote-control
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
According to what I read on that page, that only works with a couple specific DUAL branded decks.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic