icon

Kicker, pioneer, or audiobahn

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2003 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to decide which to buy the kicker vR competiton 15's, the pioneer impp dvc 15's or audiobahn dvc 15's.  I want to know which would hit harder.  And best quality.  And could U guys recommend an amp to put them on i only have a garbage formula 4 channel 1000 watt amp and a dhd power cruiser 2 channel 500 watts max.  My price range is about $250.  Any suggestions on any amp and which 15's to choose. Thanks

luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2003 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

I've yet to hear the Audiobahn 15's, but I've heard the other two and prefer the kicker.

I don't know amps all that well, but Alpine puts out some pretty good ones.  Just poke around for some of the higher end alpine amps and see what you can find.

Okoboji 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

I would Recomend the Kickers as well... do not go with the Audiobahns, they are a low end brand....  the amp i would highly recomend is a Jenson 760 Watt amp its crome and blue and runs around $180 bucks i easily power two 15' Rockfords (Rockford is my personal fav.)  and they bump like no other

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
lol...if you are running a Jensen amp you hardly have the right to call audiobahn low end...not that I endorse audiobahn, but Jensen is much further down on the food chain than is audiobahn...
I have to reiterate the opinions on the compVRs though...personally, I dont think the new compVRs sound as nice as the old ones, but they still sound better than the audiobahn and IMPPs...
if you want a cheap amp that is reliable and will produce the power you require, look at a JBL 600.1...pretty bulletproof ampsas far as quality and reliability...
Special-K 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
I used to have a Kicker Comp vr 15" (it got stolen) But hit hard as hell. It was only 500 rms right. i then got a S12L5 that ran 650 rms that didn't even compare.
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
 Thanks to everyone except okoboji who really doesnt know what he's talking about.  Jensen lol lol lol lol.  You couldnt give me a jensen.  I had 2 of the old model fosgate 15's and i blew them ragedy with a 500 watts dhd amp..  I heard a pair of the pioneer impp on a soundstorm 1000 and it was hitting hard as hell.  so the choice is between those and the kickers any websites on where i can find a good amp.  thanks
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
lol thomas...not to pick on you, but Soundstorm is about on the same level as Jensen...
now, Soundstream is a much higher quality product and is worth mentioning...
if you want a good amp at a cheap price, the JBL PowerValves are great amps for the little money involved...the best bang for your buck...cheap, reliable and versatile...they will do their full power at 1 or 2 ohms...and they will do the full 1200w without a problem...
PrimeTime 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

I normally just stop by and read but I figured this would be a great reason to make a first post. I am 33 yrs old and have been into car audio since I was 15. I now own my own shop. We sell Audiobahn, fosgate, blaupunkt, quart, visonic, sound storm and many others. First some facts about audiobahn, it was started in 1997 by a grp of Los Angeles car audio RETAILERS, ppl who knew what customers wanted because they delt with them on a daily basis. Think about it, in 6 years they have went from a no-body to one of the best selling audio brands in the nation. If you take the time to read the information that this site has to offer you will see why Audiobahn sells so many woofers. Take a look at the SPL rating of all of the woofers that you are interested in, see which one is the highest, and remember that a speaker that is just 3db's down from a comparable model will take TWICE as much power to drive at the same volume level. That means that you will need alot more amp to drive a speaker that is ineffecient, so you will spend even more money just trying to obtain the same volume level. Have you ever heard someone call kickers a power hog? Its because they are inefficient. In my opinion with the advancements of subs today an spl rating of 85  just plain sux. Audiobahn has alot of subs that seem to spike 40-55 htz very strong in retively small enclosures. Nothing beats an in-car try out but most of the time you can look at the spec's of a woofer or an amp and know if you are on the right track. There is alot of math involved in why some cars have ""built in gain""" with low frequencies. And some cars will reproduce frequencies better than others, but it still comes down to how efficient the speaker is, plain and simple.

Now with the amps, Sound storms are cheap. That they are, I only sell the force series because of the mark up that they have but I have had nothing but good luck with them. Power is rated at 12 volts not at 14.4, signal to noise ratio is 105db's, it has a high channel seperation and distortion is 0.01% @ the stated rms power. They have a 6 year warrenty and I have many customers who are driving 4ohm DVC subs mono bridged( 1.6 ohms standing resistance bridged) These amps are only rated to 4ohm mono but we frequently set them up 2 ohm mono , and they have been hanging in there for over a year now. Like thomas said, these amps do have plenty of power, if you are low on funds this may be the amp for you. As I stated earlier compare spec's, in my store the cheaper lines out sell the fosgate nearly 12 to 1.  90% of the ppl out there are in the same boat your in, they want to slam but they dont have the money for the big brands. Once the figure out that alot of the brand names grand stand on there name itself and make next to no real improvements in there products for years this gives the smaller brands time to catch up. Something else is you would be very suprized to know just who makes these products. There might be 6 different lines all made  in the same assembly plant.

I really did not intend to start anything, as this is just my own opinion.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Let me know what your interested in and I will provide you with the dealer cost on what you want to buy. This will give you some buying power with your local dealer or let you know how much of a deal your getting on the net.

kidshamrock_200 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
First rule to remember If your amp or sub has the wattage written on the front it proably sucks.          My personal experience says to go with either Audiobahn or Kicker. Pioneer hasn't mad much of a sub in a few years. Hopefully the new SPL 12" they have out this year will change that. Kicker makes an awesome sub. I've really been impressed with what I heard the 5 weeks I was in OK and got to take a tour of Stillwater Industries. But I have also owned a many of Audiobahn subs, with one of my favorites being the Alum Series. Audiobahn doesn't make cheap subs in my opinion. They are the same as everyone else as far as having an enrty level, mid level, and high level product. Once you get to the 00Q series(ex. AW1500Q) on up they are awesome. But for the price range you are in get on ebay and get some kicker comps, and a good amp. And when it comes to a good amp names help, Kicker, JBL, MTX, Crossfire,Alpine, PG, RF....... Stay away from kenwood, most sonys, pioneer and all Jensen amps. Working at a shop I've seen a lot but most of those can't hit the numbers they write on them.  Belive me Pyle, Legacy, pyrimid, SPL, powerr Accoustic, Soundstorm, JDL,Rockwood, BOSS and all other pawn shop, fleamarket buddy brands will only make you wish you would have spent a little more for a 300watt amp, instead of 1200watt heater.
PAIN Hz
D148l0 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

To Thomasbutler... man, please don't do that again. You were disrespectful to okoboji, when only expressed an opinion trying to help you, and in this topic opinions are mostly based on personal preferences or experience, so they are subjective... there are no absolute experts, and we all try to learn... If you go and read a good number of topics, you will realize that the guys that have more knowledge are also the nicest and the most respectful (no names needed, almost everybody can tell)....  You know which is the best brand? the one that makes you happy... 

Prime time, I agree that sometimes you also pay for the name, I have heard excellent systems with average brand components (I was amazed by one planet audio installation)... personally I think that in most cases you get what you pay for, and if it seems to good to be true, probably it is... bottom line, same as before: the best is the one that makes you happy...

d148l0
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic