icon

chrysler infinity radio display

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
time112852 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1995 Chrysler Concorde that has a factory installed infinity radio.  I'm not sure of the model number.  Now, i'm kinda new to cars, car radios, etc. so I might need some help.  Although, I do work on computers so the electronics part shouldn't be too bad.  Anyway, my question is..whenever i turn on the car, the display on the radio does not show up.  It's only showed up about twice since I got the car.  The CD player and the radio work fine.  It's just the display that doesn't work.  I saw some things on the internet about it, but they were broken links.  Does anyone know what my problem is and how i can fix it? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a factory defect.  Check with a Chrysler dealer to see if this is a known problem as there may be a recall or factory repair.
Thugstyle 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with my Crystler 300M..only the display would work for a few min. and it would dim slowly and turn off. Problem was the power wire was loose in the back. So try that, it might be the problem.
time112852 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I took the radio out and unplugged everything.  Then, I opened the top to see if there was a ribbon connecting to the display, but there is just a little plug on the back of the faceplace that connects the display.  So I took off the faceplate and plugged it back in and put everything back together, and then I re-installed the radio in the car.  I made sure all of the plugs were connected securely.  It still didn't work.  The lights on the equalizer work and the green lights when the headlights turn on.  Although, when you push on the equalizer slider buttons, the light seems to flicker. 

Does anyone know the website for Infinity? I've searched everywhere and i can't find it.

luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
Infinity's website is www.infinitysystems.com.  However, there probably isn't anything useful there, they only put out information about their aftermarket equipment.  Aside from that, I think it's just the speakers that are Infinity, I don't think they make any kind of head units.  Sounds like you've just got a defective radio, I would take it back to the dealer and see what's up.
A friend of mine has a 1996 LHS and he had problems with the radio as well.  Between your radio, hers, and Thugstyle's 300m I'd have to conclude that Chrysler's radios are pretty crappy.  But then, they're made in Mexico, so what do you expect?
time112852 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Well, it says Infinity on the front of the radio.  I think the sticker on the top says Infinity, also.  I just want to avoid going out and buying a new radio..at least right now.  If I bought a new blaupunkt radio though, would it fit in the console or would there be a big open space?  Cause the current radio is like twice the size of one blaupunkt radios.

My dad didnt buy the car from a dealer..it got it from another owner.  So, i dont really know where to take it to get checked out.  Would circuit city be able to look at it?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2003 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

You could take it to Circuit City or Best Buy but they're just going to tell you the same thing that we'll tell you, except they'll probably charge you 10-20 bucks to look at it: your radio is either defective or damaged.  It's almost definitely an internal problem that only the manufacturer (or a VERY competent car audio repair shop) can fix.  But as you can see it's going to cost a whole bunch to fix it.  Unless you insist on keeping the stock head unit for whatever reason, you'd be better off getting an aftermarket stereo.

To make the aftermarket stereo fit all you need is Chrysler dash kit.  And to connect it to the factory wiring just use the standard chrysler wiring harness ( Metra 70-1817 or equivalent).

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Take the car to any Chrysler dealer and talk to the maintenance supervisor (not a sales person.)  It doesn't matter where you bought it.  All you want to know from them is if this is a known problem and if there is a fix, or if replacement is the fix.  If they say replacement, then yes, buy a good aftermarket HU, don't buy a factory replacement radio.
time112852 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Alright..i think i might just buy a new radio instead of all of this hassle.

Is installing a car radio is just like installing a drive in a computer? (If any of you have done that before).  It just has more cables you have to plug it and you just have to know where to put them...basically like a computer drive, right?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
As long as you get the dash kit and the wiring harness the installation is a piece of cake.  basically just matching up colors (wiring harness colors to aftermarket head unit's colors).  And since your car has an infinity system to interface with it you just need to make sure if there's a "GREEN/ black" wire that you connect that to a ground, and make sure the wiring harness's blue wire is hooked up to the aftermarket head unit's amp remote wire.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic