the12volt.com spacer
icon

2017 ram 1500 adding wiring for lights/backup ca

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nicklavoie 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicklavoie
Hey folks!
I'm new here, so please be kind.
I just bought a new 2017 dodge ram 1500 v6 quad cab, 4x4.
In the back, I installed a new contractor's cap, which i've installed LED strips inside attached to the ribbing on the ceiling. I have toggle switches that are installed on the hydraulic shocks for the doors of the cap, that turn the lights on and off, but I haven't ran any wiring to the battery yet.
Secondly, I want to take out the factory installed rear view mirror and install a new mirror I purchased with a small screen inside. In the back, I want to attach a backup camera which will be always on while the vehicle is running.
Now that you know what I want to do, I would like some input on the best ways to do these two things.
1. Can I run wires (red and black) from the battery all the way to the back, hook it up to the switch and it will be safe? What's the best way to run the wires so they do not get exposed to rocks and damaging things.
2. How can I run power to the backup camera AND screen in the mirror simultaneously so that they both turn on when I start the vehicle?
Thanks! Hope you guys have some good suggestions
Nick
wisco_install 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2017 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wisco_install
1- You will run the power wire from the battery to your switch in the back. You should ground it back by the lights and not run a ground cable all the way back to the battery. Put the wire inside wire loom to protect it and run it with in a way that will not interfere with anything. If you can run it right with existing factory wiring and zip tie it right to that.
2- You will have to run a video cable from the camera to the screen for a signal. You can run a power wire for it at the same time. If you want it to be on all the time when the truck is on you will need a switched 12v source (something that turns on and off with the key of the truck) There is switched 12 volt at the ignition harness (Ignition 1     PINK/WHITE     (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS) use this wire to trigger a relay do not hook up to it directly. Connect the pink/white wire to pin 86 of the relay, connect pin 85 to ground, connect pin 87 to a wire that runs directly to your battery (make sure to fuse it as close to the battery as possible (find out how many amps the camera and screen uses and fuse accordingly) and connect your camera and screen to pin 30
nicklavoie 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2017 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicklavoie
HI thanks for that. For the camera and screen couldn't I just strip the positibe wire from the cigarette lighter plug under the dash and connect it to that instead of this confusing relay thing? I would assume this would almost imitate having something plugged into it and when the ignition gets turned on would send power to the units right?
Nick
wisco_install 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2017 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wisco_install
If the cigarette lighter turns on and off with the key you could use that as long as your not pulling too many amps though it. If you try to put too much of a load on it you will blow the fuse for it.
nicklavoie 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2017 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicklavoie
I will give that a try on a nice day outside lol. Been waiting for a while.
I'd have a small screen, camera and GPS on the same cig lighter plug. When my car turns on it fires up my GPS which I like so hopefully it will turn everything else on without any issues otherwise I will have to try using the relays like you said.
As for the lights in the back of the truck... what gauge wire should I use from the battery? I bought a couple 25 foot rolls of 14 in red and black. I suppose that should suffice for 10 or 11 feet worth of LED strips eh.
Nick
wisco_install 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2017 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wisco_install
14 should be fine. If you do end up having to use a relay you can hook up the relay to the cig lighter wire instead of the ignition wire since it turns on and off with the truck. Just do as I said above but hook the positive of the cig lighter to pin 86 of the relay instead of the pink/white wire. everything else would be the same.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic