the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Install Tool

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2017 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Just thought I'd throw this out there for fellow forum members. I imagine a lot of you are into neat
tools that help us do a better job and make life easier. Here is a tool that I have been using for a few
years that fits the bill.
Install Tool -- posted image.
StripAll TWC-1   Thermal wire stripper
As most of the installers have noticed, over the years the wires are getting thinner and thinner. Did
a new RX350 the other day and the majority of the wires were 26 or 28 gauge. Stripping the insulation
off those wires with standard tools is tough!   Nicking the few strands or worse yet cutting a few of
them can cause data reliability issues down the road. This tool does an excellent job of removing the
insulation without harming the wires. It is temperature adjustable for the various types of insulation
found in automotive applications and the blades are very inexpensive and easy to replace ( I'm still
on my first set ).
The down side is the cost. A new one will run upwards of $400 but used ones can be found on places
like EBay for just under $100. I got mine used, as surplus from NASA Houston, and it's worked flawlessly
under less than optimum conditions ( on the road, in the field, in various garages, etc ). If you have
ever had to repair a wire that broke while removing insulation, under the dash, right next to a connector,
this tool will pay for itself in saved time and aggravation.   If you looks closely at certain bypass module
WEB sites, the wires in their photos and install guides look like this type tool was used to remove the
insulation.
There are other similar tools like this available. Hakko makes the FT801-31 which looks nice but I
have no first hand experience with it. ( I do like my Hakko soldering iron. )
Always interested to hear what others are using...
Soldering is fun!
shift_happens 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2017 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
This does look kinda a useful. Honest question, how bad does it smell in the car after burning a bits of shielding? lol
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2017 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good question. The thermal stripper should just melt the insulation and not burn it. The rheostat control allows you to set the cutter tip temperature. For most of the cars I do a setting of 4.5 works well. Melts through the insulation within a few seconds of tip application with no noticeable smoke or smell. The tip heats up very fast and cools down as soon as you release the button. Think the soldering iron produces more smoke. Never had a customer mention any odors when they picked up their car. I believe there are some YouTube videos of these thermal strippers in action. At first I thought they would be unwieldy and difficult to use in tight spots but it turned out the mechanical strippers are bigger and harder to use.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic