the12volt.com spacer
icon

2-6x9 subs or 1-12 sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackhawk fan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blackhawk fan
I am brand new, here, and this is my first post on this forum. I an not a newbie but I am definitely no expert, also. I have an old 1991 Honda Accord. The sound system in it consists of:
Eclipse CD8051 head unit
Arc Audio KS900.6 6-channel amp
Morel Tempo Ultra 602 2-way component front stage
Eclipse SE8495 6x9 speakers
Currently running passive.
The Eclipse 6x9 speakers will be going away, one way or another. I was considering getting a Dayton 12 HO sub but I have a water leakage problem in my trunk that I cannot seem to locate. Thus, I am considering a pair of Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" subwoofers to go into the slots of the Eclipse 6x9 speakers. This should solve the water leakage problem.
Has anyone here used the Tang Band 6x9 subs I listed? Since they will be facing directly into the cabin (when I switch them over from the Eclipse 6x9 speakers), I figure their output will be pretty good. I've read a lot of positive reviews on them from the Parts Express website and even from the Amazon website. My KS900.6 will be supplying each Tang Band sub with 155 watts RMS.
If I opt for the Dayton 12 HO, it will go into a custom box (sealed) and I will bridge the two sub channels. This will provide 550 watts RMS.
Which option, here, will give me the best SQ? I am just looking to get more bass response when playing the system at normal-to-low volumes. When I am cranking the system (as it it, currently), I don't seem to notice any lack of bass response.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
jfreez 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jfreez
I haven not worked with those particular speakers, but in general, most 12s will perform much better than 2 6x9s. I would suggest finding a shop where you can listen to each and see what sound YOU like.
blackhawk fan 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blackhawk fan
jfreez wrote:
I haven not worked with those particular speakers, but in general, most 12s will perform much better than 2 6x9s. I would suggest finding a shop where you can listen to each and see what sound YOU like.
That will be difficult. I don't know of any shop that carries either the Dayton brand nor the Tang Band brand. As a matter of fact, I think both manufacturers (Dayton Audio and Tang Band) are only distributed through Parts Express...I think. But, since those 6x9 Tang Band subs would be inside the cabin and the 12" Dayton sub would be inside my trunk, do you think the Dayton sub would still provide more output even though it is inside the trunk and probably facing the back of the trunk?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Those Eclipse speakers are not subs. I've used Tang Band 6.5" subs and they are surprisingly good. I have not tried the 6X9 subs but they should be fine for low frequency reinforcement. Don't expect "thump" from them, but to fill in the low end, go for it.
Support the12volt.com
blackhawk fan 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blackhawk fan
DYohn wrote:
Those Eclipse speakers are not subs. I've used Tang Band 6.5" subs and they are surprisingly good. I have not tried the 6X9 subs but they should be fine for low frequency reinforcement. Don't expect "thump" from them, but to fill in the low end, go for it.
I know that my Eclipse 6x9 speakers are not subs. They are 4-way speakers (does that make them quadaxials? LOL), at least that is what is said on the box. Do you think their output will be as much as the Dayton HO 12" sub that is inside an enclouser inside the trunk? I am hoping it is at least a little close, in that regard. I've only just started considering the 6x9 subs because of (1) the simplicity on installation (I just have to remove the current 6x9s and put in the 6x9 subs...with a little modification to the hole left by the current 6x9s), (2) overall cost savings, and (3) I think they will fit my needs as much as the 12" would...I think.
blackhawk fan 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2017 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blackhawk fan
My last post might be a little confusing. I meant to ask if you thought the output of the 6x9 subs (not those 6x9 quadaxials I am currently using) would be as much as the Dayton HO 12.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic