the12volt.com spacer
icon

Intermittent Steering Wheel Controls w/ PAC and Kenwood Receiver

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marker227 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2019 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote marker227
I have a 2015 Lexus CT200H base model. I had a Kenwood DDX9704S (on the latest firmware) radio along with a PAC SWI-CP2 for the steering wheel controls.
I've been noticing that the steering wheel controls have been acting up pretty much since they were first installed. It's not all the time they are an issue. The volume buttons seem to be the most problematic. They don't seem to always respond to my presses. I might have to press the button 5 times just to have the radio adjust the volume by 1. The source button and the track forward and reverse buttons are also an issue, but not as much as the volume.
I've spoken to Kenwood two times and they essentially said they are 99% confident that it's not a radio issue and advise against me sending the radio in for service. I spoke to PAC and they weren't very helpful either. They basically said it had to be a radio issue. However, they did want me to drop the unit from the dash to see if the lights are responding when the issue is present to be definitive. I haven't been able to do that test because I don't know how to open up the area where it was installed. I also have a hard time replicating the issue on command.
I spoke to the installers of the PAC unit, and they are perplexed of my issue. They told me they install this exact unit all the time and they never see the issues I'm having.
I guess my question is, do I really need to go through the trouble of removing the radio and sending it out to a service center? I just want the issue fixed obviously, but I'm not sure if I should start with the radio or the PAC unit.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2019 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I'd say the best thing would be to allow the shop that installed it to troubleshoot.
If you can't do this for whatever reason, and you want to check it yourself, you need to locate the PAC interface and verify the LED.
This should help with removal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-present/592274-how-to-install-a-nav-dvd-override-bypass-module-on-a-2011-lexus-ct200h.html
Verify proper power/ground as well as resistance checking your wire connections. If you see T-taps or something like that, do away with them and either crimp or solder.
PAC has instructions available for viewing on their website: https://pac-audio.com/controlpro-web-app/
Apparently this can be configured either with DIP switches, or through an interface cable. Without a cable, you can still setup using the DIP switches, so that's what I suggest.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tomfin2000
Does your PAC have the latest firmware?   They have a nasty habit of not updating their modules and not telling anyone that the module needs to be updated. Unfortunately, you’ll have to take it out of the dash and hook it up to a pc or laptop.   You can check the PAC website for firmware updates and directions.
marker227 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2019 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote marker227
Yes, the PAC is on the latest firmware. It was hooked up to a laptop during the initial install when the installer asked if I wanted any additional programming.
I replaced my cell phone and it seems that all the controls are functioning as they should be. I've only had the phone for about a week, so I'll give it another week or two to make a final conclusion.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic