the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 GMC Yukon, Viper 5900 Install Issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
okdzb 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2023 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote okdzb
So it started out ok .. Had a Viper 5900 remote start and alarm laying around never installed and a 2000 GMC Yukon that I want to be able to remote start. - Security is not an issue so I'm trying to just get the remote start minimally functional. Don't care about lock and unlock etc. So ... so I took a stab at it and I've got it wired up and starting with the remote - Yay!
Except! - now it does not shut off or start with the key. I suspect there may be another wire or two that have to be hooked up? or possibly I've mis-wired one that I do have hooked up? I also notice that there's a clicking from one of the little black boxes that continues after it has started. I don't have it hooked up to a horn or siren.
Anybody want to hazard a guess?
I've hooked up all the wires on the 'heavy gauge inline connector key switch interface' which has ign1 and 2, starter output and starter input, output to accessory, and 3 12v supplies. Also hooked up tach wire to back of instrument panel, wired neutral safety switch to ground, and a 12v supply and ground on the primary harness.
Anything jump out at anybody?
O yeah .. I've got the passlock bypassed with a resistor .. no other bypass installed - if that makes any difference.
Thanks - dzb
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2023 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Is this the very old Viper 5900 with the satelite relay pack?
Did you connect the H3/3 Brown Brake (+) to the White (+) wire at the brake pedal switch?
When you try to start it with the key, does the instrument panel light up but it won't crank? If yes, check to see if you have the Viper Green and Violet wires on the correct sides of the cut Yellow Starter wire. Remember that if you cut the Yellow Starter wire and the Viper is armed or in alarm state the keys' Starter wire will be interrupted by the Vipers Starter Kill / Anti-Grind relay function.
There is a Pictorial on a sister vehicle using a DEI R/S unit that might help with your install. Here is the link : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=135786
Soldering is fun!
okdzb 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2023 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote okdzb
Thanks for the reply Kreg!
Yes, it is old with the satellite relay pack.
No, I haven't hooked up the brake wire. Was assuming that was just another security thing and it's pretty annoying on my other vehicle (since I'm old and don't always remember to put the key in and turn it on)
Funny thing .. went out to confirm instrument panel state when trying to start with key and - it cranked right up! I think it must have been in an alarm state when I tried before because it started doing a whole lot of clicking like it wanted to honk the horn or something. Tried turning it off with the key after a remote start again but the magic must have ran out .. still doesn't turn off with the key .. only the remote.
I have the green wire going to the side of the yellow wire that goes up the column towards the ignition switch and the violet wire hooked to the other side of the yellow wire going back the other way.
The thread you linked was most of the reason I was able to get this far, along with a few others. This site is a valuable resource even though I do struggle at times getting the correct search terms to find what I need .. so much info here.
Thanks again!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The Brake wire connection serves several purposes. The main reason is for "key take over". You want the R/S function to end before you try to drive the vehicle. It turns off the Parking Lights. It is also a safety feature to prevent a thief from jumping into your R/S'd truck, shifting into gear and driving away. On some brands the Brake signal is used for programming, too.
Without the Brake wire connected the engine will continue to run until the (15 minute) run time ends, the key in, out, on, off will do nothing.
You are correct, the clicking you heard was a relay to flash the Parking Lights or beep the horn. If the Viper sees the Ignition input go to +12V while locked/armed it is an alarm.
Soldering is fun!
okdzb 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote okdzb
Good info - I'll go ahead and hook that up and give it a go. Thanks again Kreg! ..
okdzb 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote okdzb
You nailed it! Hooked up the brake wire and it's working fine now. Thanks to all ..
kreg357 
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good news! Thanks for the update. Enjoy the new and improved Sierra.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic