the12volt.com spacer
icon

1998 BMW 328ic, Keyless Entry Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
watut 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2023 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote watut
Hey all, I'm new here and this is my first post. I have a compustar cm7200 that i am wanting to install into my 1998 bmw 328ic. I dont care too much for the remote start feature but i am wanting to hook it up just for the keyless entry feature. Can anyone help me with this? Attached are pictures of the module and the wiring at the plug in the car. Any help is appreciated
1998 BMW 328ic, Keyless Entry Installation - Last Post -- posted image.
1998 BMW 328ic, Keyless Entry Installation - Last Post -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2023 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
If you only want RKE...
CM7200-s
20 Pin CN5 Gray
CN5
1 Blue/White          GWA POC#1
2 Brown   Siren Out
3 White   Horn POC#2
4 Light Blue/White (+) Foot Brake In
5 Blue/Green        Lock POC#3        *2
6 Light Blue           (-) E Brake In
7 Blue   Unlock POC#4       *2
8 Violet/Black       (-) Trunk Trigger
9 Orange/White    Disarm POC#5
10 Red/White       Door Trigger In (+/-)
11 Orange             ReArm POC#6
12 Brown/White    (-)Keysense In
13 Violet/White     Trunk Out POC#7
14 Pink   (+) Trigger Start In
15 BlackStatus Out POC#8
16 Gray/Black       (-)Hood In
17 Green/White   (-) Parking Light Out     *1
18 Yellow/Black   Tach In
19 Red/Black       (-) Start Out
20 White/Black    (-) ACC Out
CN1 High Current
1 Red             +12V              +12V Constant
2 Green/White    Parking Lights (+)
3 Red/White      +12V             +12V Constant
4 White              ACC
5 BlueIGN2
6 Yellow             Starter
7 Green             IGN1
8 Black              Chassis Ground           Chassis Ground
CN11 - can be used if you have the harness
1   Empty
2   Violet/White    Trunk Release (-)
3   Orange/Black    Priority Unlock (-)
4   Blue Unlock (-)      *2
5   Blue/Black        Lock (-)        *2
6   Empty
*2 As you can see the CN7200-s outputs a (-) lock signal and the car requires a (+) signal to actuate the locks. you can either use a relay to make this polarity conversion or a Directed 451M Door Lock Module. The relay wiring (Type A) is shown in the door lock section of this site. An install guide for the 451M can be found in the Downloads section of this site. The 451M module is available from various online sites for less than $17.
Wire info from another source :
Lock        GREEN/WHITE (+)     @ 12 PIN CONNECTOR
Unlock     BLUE/RED/YELLOW (+)     BEHIND GLOVE BOX
*1   Parking Lamp (-)   BLUE/YELLOW   12 PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND GLOVE BOX
Constant 12 volts   RED/YELLOW   12 PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND GLOVE BOX
There might be multiple 12 Pin Connectors in the area behind the Glove Box so testing with a DMM is required. The wire color info I posted differs from the Omega chart but the Pin location might be accurate, just a wire color change by model year. Pay attention to polarity if you want to use the Horn.
Soldering is fun!
watut 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2023 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote watut
Thanks for all the info! I ordered the 451m and will give it a go. It looks like you have referenced various connection points, cant everything be done at the 12 pin harness behind the glove box?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2023 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Not exactly sure what you mean.
The Chassis Ground point can be any solid paint free metal chassis point.
The +12V constant supply input should be from a suitable/capable source. The +12V wire at the 12 Pin connector behind the Glove Box may not be able to supply the current needed for your application.
The (-) Parking Lights are at a 12 Pin connector behind the Glove Box
The lock wires are at a 12 Pin connector behind the Glove Box.
As mentioned, I'm not sure if there are multiple 12 Pin connectors behind the Glove Box plus that other source gives different wire colors for the +12V and lock wires so...
While the actual current draw of the CM7200 is negligible acting as a RKE system only with (-) Parking Lights you have to add in the 451M and its' current draw.
Soldering is fun!
watut 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2023 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote watut
So this is what I've made sense of and drew this diagram to wire it up. Does this make sense? 1998 BMW 328ic, Keyless Entry Installation - Last Post -- posted image.
kreg357 
Posted: December 22, 2023 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
A few issues...
The CN7200 is a R/S with RKE unit. It has no Alarm functions and the Door and Trunk Trigger inputs are for R/S w/manual transmission R/S install use. Therefore, there is no need to connect the CN7200 Red/White wire at CN5-10 to anything.
The CN7200 White Horn output at CN5-3 is a (-) output and will not actuate the cars horn as it needs a (+) signal. If you wanted horn confirmations, a relay would be needed to change the CN7200's (-) Horn output to a (+) signal the car needs.
As mentioned twice, the cars +12V constant wire at Pin 1 of the 12 Pin connector behind the Glove Box has an "*" note on it that says it is a low amperage circuit and as such might not be suitable for use as a +12V supply to the CN7200 and the 451M modules.
The 451M has a 3 wire harness with Green, Blue, Red wires. The Green wire goes to the CN7200 Blue/Green wire at CN5-5. The 451M Blue wires goes to the CN7200 Blue wire at CN5-7. The 451M Red goes to 12V constant along with the thick fused Purple wire. The 451M lock output wires, Blue/Black and Green/Black, go to the cars' 12 Pin connector lock wires, Pin 10 and Pin 9 respectively. Not sure what the "1A resistor" is in your diagram but it's not necessary.
Have you taken a look at the connectors behind the Glove Box yet? As mentioned twice there could be multiple 12 Pin connectors there due to the fact that the info I found suggests that the +12V constant wire is a different color than the one listed on the 12 Pin connector you displayed and that it also lists a (-) Parking Light wire on a 12 Pin connector. A careful search of that area and proper Digital Multi Meter verification of all vehicle wires used is in order.
Soldering is fun!
watut 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2023 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote watut
Thanks buddy, that makes much more sense now. I was planning on running a fused wire from the battery for 12v instead of connecting to pin 1, should have mentioned that!
I have looked and found the appropriate 12 pin connector behind the glove box.
For the 451M lock output wires, Blue/Black and Green/Black, i would need to put 1 amp resistors on there for the double output correct?
kreg357 
Posted: December 22, 2023 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Yes, a direct connection to the battery is the safe way to go. Use 12 gauge wire and fuse at 20 Amps. The 451M has a 15 Amp fuse to protect that part of the circuit.
Did you find the (-) Parking Light wire I listed? Having a parking light flash confirmation isn't mandatory but would be nice.
Did the needed wire colors and functions match your posted 12 Pin connector wires?
The 451M lock output wires only supply the car with a (+) signal. The signal is fused at 15 Amps and the car will only draw as much as it needs. Not sure what a "1 amp resistor" is but fuses or resistors aren't needed.
Soldering is fun!
watut 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2023 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote watut
The wire colors matched up. I haven't found the parking light wire but i will dig around for it.
Sorry, i meant diode not resistor for the double lock feature. Brains not functioning correctly lol.
kreg357 
Posted: December 22, 2023 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I don't think a 1N400x diode is required for that connection.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic