the12volt.com spacer
icon

Astrostart MV Almost Working, 2007 Toyota Corolla S

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stumpedchump 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2023 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumpedchump
Really hoping you guys can help! Reading on this forum has been very educational so far, but I’m still struggling.
My wife’s 2007 Corolla S has an Astrostart MV (part number 392-127-300 Rev. 1) installed. Apparently, it worked about a decade ago, at which point she lost the key fob. She’s recently requested remote start capability, so I ordered a replacement remote and paired it with the module.
The fob seems to pair just fine and appears to want to start the car but all it does is turn on parking/dash lights for a second and then shuts back off. I can see/hear the RLY PROG and TAIL relays clicking shut during this time but none of the others. Manually actuating the other relays activates the associated circuits, even turning the engine over. Door lock buttons also do nothing.
I consistently receive error code 8 (disabling switch in “OFF” position or thermal protection (P2-9 and/or P10 to P16 overloaded). If I disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect, the module gives me error code 2 (stopped by pressing on the brakes, (-) outputs are overloaded or faulty ground.
I’ve bypassed the hood switch and disable switch to ensure they aren’t the culprits. Based on what I’ve read on this forum and what the codes are telling me, I suspect the issue to be a bad ground or the bypass module.
I’ve run a second, temporary ground to ensure that isn’t the issue. However, I have no idea how to diagnose the bypass module and what it is or isn’t doing. The bypass module is a 310-907-580 OM-FOT-1 and has an LED and programming button – but again no idea what to do with it.
Any and all information would be extremely appreciated! Happy to provide any pictures that may help.
stumpedchump 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2023 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumpedchump
Should also mention I've been attempting the remote start with the doors closed and locked, assuming I need to imitate the condition the car would be in.
I feel like I'm missing something trivial but for the life of me can't figure it out. Any ideas or resources for astrostart mvs? I found the user manual which has been semi helpful but can't find anything related to the thermal protection mentioned in code 8 or how the bypass module may affect things.
Astrostart MV Almost Working, 2007 Toyota Corolla S - Last Post -- posted image.
Astrostart MV Almost Working, 2007 Toyota Corolla S - Last Post -- posted image.
stumpedchump 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2023 at 5:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stumpedchump
Finally got this working but not completely sure why. Was buttoning everything back up after admitting defeat and gave it another shot, at which the engine turned over and then abruptly stopped. Fault code pointed to a 3k RPM limit setting which when disabled allowed remote start to work properly.
My hypothesis is that after fixing a corroded hood pin connection and reprogramming the bypass module, the Astrostart was functional. The screw securing the module housing together must also act as an internal ground path, which is why it wasn't working until everything was reassembled.
Don't remember the specific order of how I reprogrammed the bypass module but involved holding the programming button while plugging in and then starting the car.
Hope some of this information may help others in the future.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic