icon

Custom Box help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snow1440 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hope someone can help me out with a problem.  I built a custom box, the attached file should explain mostly everything.  The top is left open, the front is just covered and screwed in with 1/4 plexi-glass.  I have a 200 watt Optimus amp,  2-12" Pioneer IMPPs, and sony explode cd stereo, .75" thick wood.  Problem is I don't think I seem to be getting all the bass I feel I should be getting out of the subs.  I have about 1" cu/ft for each sub.  I had a bandpass box with 4 ported vents and the thing kicked like hell, I just thought I'd try to build a custom box but it seems I lost bass somehow.  Can anyone help?  ThanksCustom Box help -- posted image.
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
U have a 200 watt optimus on 2 12 impp's .  I think that is your problem not your bow.  Need a stronger amp my suggestion.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Depends on the subs and what the specs. might not have the correct air space or might need to be ported to work properly.
Ralph Wiggum 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

If this is a sealed box you are going to need more power to match what you originally had with the 4-port bandpass box.

snow1440 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

I ordered a kenwood 600 amp hope that will do some good

snow1440 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
i made it to be sealed
Ralph Wiggum 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Do you know the cu/ft. specs for the subs in a sealed box?  What did you use to seal your seams with?  Is it a good seal?  If you are just screwing on the plexiglass front cover you are not getting a good seal.  Apply clear caulking or adhesive sealer to the front before mounting the plexiglass to it, or reach in and seal from the inside once you take the subs out.  1/4" plexiglass is pretty thin for this type of application, I sugget you go to a thicker plexiglass.  A sealed box is under a lot of pressure if sealed properly.  Adding stuffing into the box would make the subs sound as if they were actually in a larger box, although I'm sure you added the Plexi to see the subs not the stuffing right?   The box is a very important component....you could have the best subs in the world but if your box leaks excessively or is not built properly the subs will suck!

If you still need more after installing the kenwood amp you could wire the subs parallel into 2-Ohm (assuming they are 4-Ohms each) to pull more power from the amp, although more heat and THD will be produced.  Oh yea, make sure the amp can handle a 2-Ohm setup before attempting. 

snow1440 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

cu/ft. I believe I made right when building the box, I just sealed the box yesterday with caulking, it actually sounds alittle better..I guess air was escaping when I "temp" hooked it up to test it.  I have yet to seal the plexi glass on with caulking  because I may add lights in the box, the 22 screws for it should hold the plexi good for now.  Stuffing would be nice but yes I added the plexi to see the subs.

thanks for all advice

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic