icon

Bridging?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

I've got a Pioneer Premier DEH-550MP HU that is supposed to put out 22 watts rms into 4 channels. Can I bridge this to get more power going into two speakers and then add a two channel amp to push the rear speakers? I searched my Users Manual and saw nothing on this subject. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Razorbacx

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. Assuming your 2 front door speakers are each 4ohms, then here's what you do...
When you bridge the amp you are left with 2 channels, usually marked on the amp as Front and Rear. But that is only words, you can make it Right and Left by simply changing what you send to the amp (input). Instead of sending it Front right/left and Rear right/left inputs, just send it Front Right and Front Left inputs. Here's how to do it...
1) Hook up the Front Right RCA headunit output to the amps Front Right and Front Left inputs (use an RCA Y-adapter if needed).
2) Hook up the Front Left RCA headunit output to the amps Rear Right and Rear Left inputs (use an RCA Y-adapter if needed).
Now the amp is only getting Front channel (left and right) output from the headunit.
3) Hook up the Front Right speaker to the Front bridge.
4) Hook up the Front Left speaker to the Rear bridge.
You still have stereo sound (Left and Right) and both speakers should be getting apx 44 watts each.
That's it Bridging? -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I know what you mean, but I dont think it is do-able or recommended to bridge HU speaker outputs the way you want to do it.
Thats why they dont bring it up in the manual.
You would be better off using an external amp and running 2 speakers on the same channel parallel @2ohm, but then you wouldnt have front to back fading capabilities.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

I highly recommended against attempting to bridge your head unit as their internal amplifiers are not designed to be bridged.  I doubt it would even work because I don't think it will recognize a bridged speaker connection.  Also, I do remember some years ago when I was first starting out in car audio I emailed Crutchfield asking, among other things, if the pioneer head units with the MOSFET amp chips could be bridged, and they said no it could not be done properly and that it might even damage the head unit.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
My bad, I read the post wrong. Bridging? -- posted image. I was talking about bridging a 4-channel amp into 2 channels, not the headunit!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info! I thought as much, but wasn't 100% sure.

Regards,

Razorbacx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic