icon

sub enclosure resin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rproductions 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hello I need some help. I am planning on building a complete fiberglass enclosure and amp rack. I want to build the frames and boxes out of MDF and blend the fronts in with fiberglass. Now my question is how do I get the fiberglass to hold to the MDF?? do I have to use epoxy resin??
And one more thing I live in europe and there is no such thing as duraglass here. what can i use on top of the fiberglass to finnish it??
Thank you.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
the best in your case is to router the edges of the sub box and amp rack down about 1/4 to 3/8 inch(6mm-10mm I think is the conversion) with a rabbeting bit. you dont have to go in that far. maybe about the same as the depth. then you can staple the mold fabric to the rabbeted edge on both parts. this will give you room to build up to the box and amp rack, giving it shape adding strength with chop mat, and smoothing it out.
as far as the dura glass, all it is, is a fiberglass reinforced bodyfiller. you could call a body shop and see what they use as the shaping first layer on body repair. or you can look online and get it shipped to you(which might be kind of pricey)
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Duraglass is basically body filler with shredded fiberglass in it, ask for fiberglass reinforced body filler at the local paint and body supply store, there are varying consitencies in the fiberglass that is in them so look at it before you buy it, sometimes people also refer to these products as "kitty hair", and here in the states they sell a product called kitty hair and tiger hair, but they have long strands of fiberglass mat in them
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
Rproductions 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys!!!
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
You can also use a high build primer to reduce finishing time.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic