icon

which way to wire subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigmurf127 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

I'm installing some subs for my friend.  he has two MTX 6000 dvc's and a mtx 8100d

should i wire each one in series at a 2ohm load or bridge them and together and series them for a 4 ohm load. Even though the wattage stated at 2ohm in stereo and 4ohm bridged is the same shouldn't i go with a 2ohm load because less resistance means more power?

mark241 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of amp is it?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately you can not wire (2) 4ohm dvc's into a 2 ohm load. Your amp is supposedly only stable down to 2 ohms; however I have run them many times with a 1ohm load without problems. I would suggest you wire them in parallel http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_parallel_dual_4.pdf for a 1 ohm load. If you wire them in series http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/Series_Series_dual_4_ohm.pdf you will have a 16 ohm load and will not be getting much power. If you don’t want to run your amp at 1 ohm then your only other option would be Series Parallel http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_series_dual_4_ohm.pdf which would give you a 4 ohm load.
bigmurf127 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

its a MTX 8100D your wrong on the inpedence part.  Wire each sub independently in parralell at 2ohms or wire both subs together bridged in series at a 4ohm load.  On paper the wattage to each sub should be the same, what I'm asking is if because its a 2ohms and has less resistance it will provide more actual power or should i take it easy on the  amp and just run a 4ohm load

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1 was referring to not being able to wire Two 4ohm DVC's together into a 2ohm load, and he is correct.
I used to think the same thing about an amps efficiency in correlation to the power rating. I used to think that even though "less ohms = less resistance = more power", that it also related directly to efficiency. The12volt help clarify my thinking though. Here's an excerpt from that thread.
"My point is that efficiency of an amplifier and power output of an amplifier are not the same. Yes, an amplifier will produce more power at a lower resistance, however it doesn't mean that the amplifier is more efficient at a lower resistance. In some cases, current draw may be more than twice as much at 1/2 the resistance and the loss to heat may also be more than twice as much, making it less efficient while producing more power. Efficiency with an amplifier would relate more to the ratio of power output to current draw, and power output to power lost to heat."
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
bigmurf127 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

i saw that he meant wire the subs together after i had already hit enter. thanks for the info, so i guess i'll go bridge the two subs in series at 4ohms, help the amp out since its gonna be in a tight space i don't wanna work it too much.  thanks

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
You're not bridging, the MTX 8100d is a Class D Mono amp. There is no bridging with mono amps since you're already running with only 1 channel. Bridging an amp would require a Class AB 2+ channel amp.
If you were to wire each sub in parallel for a 2ohm load each, then wire both to the amp (+ to + and - to -), then you would be running at 1ohm. The 2ohm rating of that amp is 1000x1, so at 1ohm you should get you at least that, if not more.
Looking at your sub's specs, you're better off running at 4ohms anyway though. Not because of the amp's efficiency, but unless your friend has the 15" model Thunder 6000's then they are rated at 250RMS 500Peak. Throwing 1000 watts to those 2 subs (apx 500 watts per sub) would more than likely fry 'em. At 500 watts from the amp each sub would get apx 250 watts which is perfect based on the sub's RMS rating.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
bigmurf127 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
thanks,  my frined didn't tell me it was a mono block amp.  I don't deal w/ much MTX so i didn't even think it was a mono amp
wvsquirrel 
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
no prob. I saw the d at the end of the model number. I confirmed it was mono when I looked up the specs. MTX amps that end with a "d" are mono amps.
Let us know how your friend's system turns out. It should sound pretty good
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic