icon

Problems with Nav-TV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Just curious to know if any other shops out here are having any problems with nav tv products and services? We have done our 5th  Mercedes "S" class and the freaking little white RGB convertor box they send with it to get video out for rear monitors is the biggest piece of doooookie, we have gone through 10 or 15 of those boxes on the 5 cars, also it is like pulling teeth getting customer service from those people, and god forbid you should need any wiring diagrams sent with your products, and if you do get anything at all it is about as vague as Clinton was about smoking pot. The BMW/Range Rover pieces work good because they are factory pieces they import from Germany. Like I said just wondering if anyone else out here is getting as poor of a customer service as we are?
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
bmw540iman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
I'm so glad you put this out in the open. I have a 03 yukon xl denali with the navi/radio and I just called them yesterday to see if they were working on a kit for my truck. They said they do "gunea pig"(thats exactly what they said) projects and if it doesnt work i dont pay anything. Not sure i want to have my $2000 factory option used as the test bed for their kit. especially after your post saying the customer service isnt good and the parts they make arent of high quality.
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

I opted to be a "guinnea" pig over a yr ago for theri RGB convertor for the Lexus nav screens, all I got was a raw circuit board with a bunch of wire soldered to it and a wiring diagram printed off from a Snap On tools database. LUCKILY if was able to figure it out and make it work. Today that same convertor is nicely packaged and more universal, although the wiring instructions and locations of the wires are very vague. Like I was saying about the BMW stuff and even the Mercedes stuff it is actually a factory option in European countries and they just import the pieces here to the US. The problem on the Benz is that they have to convert the video signal and the box that Nav Tv makes to convert the signal is done by Nav Tv. The guy had to actually take the RGB convertor out of his wifes Benz and send it to me because all the ones they sent me were defective.

As for your Yukon, if you are just wanting video I would reccomend having a 7 or 8 inch monitor molded into your lower center console where the change pocket and cig lighter plug is just in front of the popup ashtray and cupholders are. I have done 4 or 5 of these and it turned out beautifully.

That is one vehicle I would definately not want to be a tester for because there are no factory "option" for any US made vehicle to have video up front and with all of the various other vehicle circuits in the GM vehicles that depend on the factory radio. If you would like to see some pics of the installs on those GM platforms just give me your email address and I can email you some.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
bmw540iman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
You have been a huge help ezridr, thanks alot. The idea of them testing my $2000 optional nav radio didnt appeal to me and the flip out from the lighter and change pocket was my original plan but didnt know of a monitor to use. i'll pm my email address to see the pics of the installs you have done. thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic