icon

head unit installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpinintegra 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought a brand new Alpine CDA-9815 head unit and am having some trouble.  First of all, I can't seem to remove the piece that borders the face of the radio. Usually, they pop right off, but this one won't.  Because i can't get the thing off, I can't remove the cage from the radio to install it in the dash kit.  Also, there is a wire from the wiring harness that came with the radio that has a tage on saying not to connect it behind the dash and to connect it directly to the battery or the fuse box.  I have never done anything like that before and would like some suggestions.  Thanks for your help.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
what year and kind of car are you doing this in?  Are you replacing the factory radio?
bumpinintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

ok, here's the deal. I am installing the Alpine CDA-9815 unit in a 1999 acura integra ls. I figured out how to get the trim piece off, but I have two new problems. First, I am having serious problems with the dash kit.  The damn thing won't fit as per the directions of how to install it.  Secondly, there is a yellow wire from the CDA-9815 harness that is telling me to NOT connect behind the dash, but rather to connect to the battery terminal or the fuse box.  I know they are saying that because the unit requires constant power. So, I need to know where I can connect to in the fuse box to get constant power.  Thanks for your help.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

Actually the reason they tell you to wire directly to the positive battery terminal is because the alpine's built-in amplifier can draw a large amount of current--more than the tiny 18 gauge factory wires could accomodate.  There IS a constant power wire in the acura/honda harness but as you can see it's pretty tiny and could not handle the potential current draw of the alpine unit, although for most aftermarket head units that wire will work just fine.

I know it's a pain in the butt and it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but really the correct way to get your constant power for this particular head unit is to run a fused direct connection to the positive battery terminal.

Okie I'm assuming you removed the two 8mm screws that hold in the factory radio/pocket assembly, and got the factory head unit removed.  From there, it's just a matter of trimming off the correct tabs on the kit.  Actually I should ask, which dash kit did you purchase?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
GavinJuice 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yea bumpinintegra, if you bought that deck new and have a manual you'll find that with the newer Alpines that have the "Media Xpander" function which you probably have, they have to be wired directly to the battery since it puts out like 65x4 if i remember right. The extra pull in power is needed directly from the battery.
rock and roll!!
evil_twin667 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, I think it's 60x4, and some places even suggest a 10ga amp kit to deal with all the power.  And it's not the Media Xpander, it's the V-Drive internal amp.  But anyway, can't help much with the dash kit problems, the cd player I helped install went into a Mustang, but the yellow wire's gotta go to the battery. 
bumpinintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
I got the thing hooked up, but still not installed correctly.  I connected the yellow wire to the ignition coil fuse as per someone's advice at a parts store.  The radio works, but every time I turn the car off and then back on, the radio does not turn on without me doing it manually and it seems to reset itself.  Also, I can't get the dash kit installed correctly.  I have followed the directions exactly with no luck.  I am using a 99-7898 metra turbokit in my 1999 Acura integra LS 2-door coupe.  I have installed many dash kits before in other cars and never had a problem so I am extremely frustrated and lost. Thanks for your help. 
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

no offense to the auto parts store person, but they are very very wrong.  I know you're trying to get around having to run the wire through the firewall and can tell you that it's not going to work.

I dunno what the "ignition coil fuse" is that you have it hooked up to, but the reason it needs to go directly to the battery is because that wire receives power constantly, even when the car is turned off.  When you turn off the car, the receiver powers down but still retains power so that it can keep the presets and sound settings, etc. in memory.  also it will remember where in a cd it was.  finally, it allows the mechanism of the lens to return to its resting state, rather than if u cut the power to it right away like how you're doing it right now, it stops the thing dead in its tracks (no pun intended).

this ignition coil fuse is a switched wire, meaning when you turn the car off the voltage goes away.  This is why every time you turn the car on your head unit is acting as if you just plugged it in for the first time...because essentially that IS what is happening, from a power standpoint.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic