icon

keyless entry power source?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pole 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
i'm trying to hook up my keyless entry kit i bought, but have no clue where to get the 12v constant power source and where to ground the system to. the car is a 91 honda prelude and the kit is this one
can anyone please explain where to wire it to in layman's terms?
cool_greg 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Fuse box, usually the easiest for +12v, as for the ground, find a peice of metal drill a hole and put a screw in, or look for a stud with a bolt on that is already used as a ground connection for some thing and use it as well
Just a Guy, Wiring up those Vehicals
---------------------------------
Gool_Greg
mr12volt 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
The best place to get 12 volts for the actuators is to tie into the 12 volt wire in the ignition harness under the dash.  The fuse box is the easiest place but you run a risk of the wire comming loose after time.  The ground, like stated before, can be done by putting a self tapping screw into the door panel and attaching the ground to it.  What kind of car is?  Does the keyless kit come with pre-wired relays?
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with mr12volt. Tap into the 12 volt wire in the ignition swith harness underneath the steering column. In a 91 Honda Prelude, this will be thick white wire, or else a thick white wire with a black stripe on it. Test either wire for voltage first! As for the ground, I'm sure you'll see a factory ground bolt either under the dash, or on the kick panel.
pole 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Umkay, I found the wire but the wire is very thick and short. I dont see how I can splice that wire. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to do this? Would it be OK just to stick the thin(er) wires in the same harness holder? Doesn't seem like it will last long that way. Also I would like to hook up the starter and ignition wires to the keyless entry brain, but that wire is in the same situation as the 12v wire (short and thick).
Right now I have the 12v wires plugged in the fuse box where the fog light fuse is. I'm not even using the fog light, so would this setup be OK, or should I just hardwire it to the ignition harness' 12v?
mr12volt 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hard wire is always better.  Try stripping the ignition harness wires wire and soldering alarm wires to it.  Can also use various connectors.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
3m makes t-tap connectors that basically "staple" into the fat ignition wires. You just put the connector over the wire (it closes like a clamshell) and clamp it shut with pliers. It automatically clips into the wire with a piece of metal similar to a staple. They are commonly called "t-taps" or "scotchlocks".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic