icon

alpine's time correction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kadetheus 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
i recently bought an alpine cda-9813 hu and i get everything just fine but the time correction. maybe because i haven't had enough time to quite understand it. but i have a ford contour and i was wondering if anyone just off the top of their head had a clue as to what my time correction should be set to for the FL,FR,RL, and RR speakers.
thanks
Manokat 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Previously posted by Kadetheus:

i recently bought an alpine cda-9813 hu and i get everything just fine but the time correction. maybe because i haven't had enough time to quite understand it. but i have a ford contour and i was wondering if anyone just off the top of their head had a clue as to what my time correction should be set to for the FL,FR,RL, and RR speakers.

I have the same HU. 

Differences in speaker placement in the car create shift in sound image.  Time correction tries to balance the time it takes for the sound to come to the listener by delaying the audio signal to the listener. To set these settings for your unit you need to measure the distance of the farthest speaker to your head and the rest of the speakers. I take my Mazda Protege5 as an example.

My farthest speaker (from the speaker to my head) is the FR which is 2.25m.

My Front Left speaker to my head is measured 1.75M.

My Rear Left speaker to my head is about 1.25M

My Rear Right speaker to my head is about 2M.

So my settings for time correction are:

FR = 0

FL = (2.25 -1.75) / 343 x 1000 = 1.457 rounded up to  1.5

RL = ( 2.25. - 1.25 ) /343 x 1000 = 2.915 rounded down to 2.9

RR = ( 2.2.5 - 2.00 ) /343 x 1000 = 0.729 rounded down to  0.7

Hope this example helps.

Kadetheus 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
it helped a lot. but i still have one more question. when doing the distance thing, do measure as if the seat was not there or do you add a little to make up for the seat? i ask that because i have 4 door speakers
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine also has available their own tape measure that has all of the time correction settings printed out on it and all you have to do is measure the distance and look at the time correction # and preset it into your HU
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
Manokat 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

Theoratically, you should take it into consideration and you should find the shortest distance possible, mind you there are many possibilities sound  coming from a Rear Right speaker mounted on the door, bounching many places and eventualy arriving in your ears.

IMO however, you do not have to do that just measure the distance as if the seats were not there.

Morever the 343 m/s is the sound speed at 20 C only, The sound speed will vary depending on the temperature at which it travels.

That is why a tape measure will be of little use to set the time correction settings in Alpine HU.

Now if you had the Alpine 9815, you could preset and record these time correction settings to 6 preset buttons. That way you could set time correction according to different seasons. The  9813 does not have this feature.

Kadetheus 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
thanks dudes. what the speed of sound at about 95 degrees?
Manokat 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  

Previously posted by Kadetheus:

thanks dudes. what the speed of sound at about 95 degrees?

First  convert Fahrenheit to Celcius:

C = (F-32) * 5 / 9   = (95-32) * 5 / 9 = 35 º C

Once the temperature in Celcius is known we can find sound speed/velocity with this formula:

V = 331.5 + (0.6 T)

Where:  V = velocity (m/s) and  T = air temperature (°C).

Thus, sound velocity at 95 °F or 35°C is:

V = 331.5 + (0.6 * 35 ) = 352.5

Hope this helps.

dickytim 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
may i hummbly suggest a pxa-h600, it worked for me, all the time correction and frequency range setting confused the hell out of me
vudunoid 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Just a FYI on Alpines web site there is a i-Personalize link that will allow you to select your head unit and input the distance from each speaker to your selected listening point and it will give you all the time correction settings to input into you head unit. I hope this helps a bit more.

stockcivic 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
hmm I have never seen anything about time on my hu, probably doesn't have it but does anybody know about the sony Xplod CDX-MP450X, it is an older mp3 hu and it would be cool if I could make it sound a little better.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic