the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

your thoughts on this amp please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
If I remember correctly, the MRV-T757 was one of Alpine's V12 series of amps. Yes, those amps are underrated, but they are also one of Alpine's better line of amps.
Kenwood rates on 14.4 volt as well. But I think you made a great choice. The KAC-7201 is 460 x 1 @ 4ohms mono/bridged. So at 12 volts, you should get at least 400 x 1 @ 4ohms mono/bridged. Just make sure to turn the gains down some, because at max gain you will be running at just under 100watts below your subs Peak rating.
Being a Newbie has nothing to do with it your thoughts on this amp please - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. We all started out knowing nothing at one point. And if we weren't helped when we needed it, then we wouldn't be here now! Glad to be of help.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Nhspike 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  

Squirrel,

Many many thanks... and, of course, more questions :)

My sony head unit has low pass filter options of 125, 80, or OFF, and high pass filter with the same options.

Am I better to control the crossover at the head unit, or at the MTX/Kenwood amp?

Currently running both at 125, so the 4 speakers are just getting 125 and above, and the sub 125 and below (I think!).

It's nice to be able to change it in the car (not having to pop the trunk, etc), but am I missing out on anything by not using the crossover controls of the amps, etc?

Also, your thoughts on the bass boost circuit at the amp, if you have any... adds 16dB at 90Hz.

:D

spikey
'94 Lincoln, Sony CDX-CA810X, Pioneer TS-A1664/TS-A6963, MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X4, Kenwood KAC-7201, JL Audio 15W4 Sub
Nhspike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

oops... I mean 12 dB at 90 Hz

hehe

spikey
'94 Lincoln, Sony CDX-CA810X, Pioneer TS-A1664/TS-A6963, MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X4, Kenwood KAC-7201, JL Audio 15W4 Sub
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen most people suggest using the crossover at the amp. 125 is good for the mids/highs. I'd say more around 80 for the sub. The best advice is take that for a starting point and then listen to it for a while. Change it a little and notice the sound difference. If you like it, keep it, if now, tweak some more! It's all mainly personal preference.
What you're "missing out" on by using the headunit is all the other crossover frequencies. Most headunits have those "preset" filters, while a lot of amps have rotary dials that allow you to adjust the crossover frequency more finely. I wouldn't suggest using both at the same time though, use either the headunit or the amp.
The bass boost makes it nice. When you want some extra thump turn it up, when you don't want it turn it down. Just listen for any distortion in the sub when you use it. If you hear distortion then turn the boost down.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Nhspike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks my friend

:)

spikey
wvsquirrel 
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
No prob, glad to help
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Nhspike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

One thing that has stood out is that I can control the crossover freq of the front and the rear speakers independantly, as opposed to sending either 80 or 120 to all 4 speakers.

The rear 6X9's tend to take a bit more bass (mid bass) while the fronts are more comfortable filling in the highs

I'm most pleased with my setup, and must say one more time, thanks Mr. Squirrel for your tips

:D

spikey
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic