the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Infinity 12.1D with a JBL 180.2 or 300.1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JollyGreenGiant 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

I've been looking around like I almost always do.  This site has been a great help to me before because of all of the great people that gave me advice.  I'm on a new project now.  I'm seriously looking into the Infinity 12.1D sub which has dual 4 ohm voice coils.  I'm pretty much set on a JBL amp; I have heard and read so many great things about them.  Since the RMS power handling of the 12.1D is 350 watts, I'm focusing on either the P180.2 or the BP300.1.  As per the owners manual which I downloaded from the JBL website, the P180.2 is stable to 2 ohms while the 300 is stable to 1, the current draw of the 180.2 is far higher (45 amps compared to 29), the THD at 4 ohms for the 180.2 is 0.05% and the 300.1 is 0.10%, and the 180.2 has a freq response of 10Hz to 50kHz and the 300.1 is 10Hz to 320Hz.  Those are basically the only differences between the amps.  I was told that the 180.2 is a class AB amp where the 300.1 is class D.  I'm figuring that’s why the 300.1 has a lower current draw, but that may also be because of the 60 extra watts RMS that the 180.2 would potentially put out.  What do you think I should get?  The 300.1 is designed specifically for sub use, so it may be the better choice.  Also, I like that fact that it has a lower draw on the electrical system.  I can get the amps for about the same price, so that’s not the issue.  Will the 60 extra watts make any considerable improvement?  What do you think about this set up in general?  Any bad experiences with the Infinity Kappa Perfect?  I'm looking for a sub that hits reasonably hard, but that sounds good as well.  I had some great plans before, but I came to the conclusion that I was going to lose my hearing if I keep listening to it too loud like an idiot.  I also blew two pair of 12s, so I want something quality like the infinity, but the other subs were Pyramid and a company called JBC (says just be cool in purple) that seriously looks like it came from the late 80s or something.  Anyway, any input would be great.  Support the12volt if you can by donating to the site.  My funds are REALLY low but I plan to give a little something.

-Jon

ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

well, anytime you are debating between a class AB amp and a mono amp with about the same power, the mono is the definite choice.  you will just get a better bass response since that's what they are made for.

Infinity perfects are GREAT subs for sq and they will handle much more than 350 rms.  when you get the sub, look on the certificate to see the actual results; i guarantee it is 400+.

--Adam
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
I agree, when it comes to deciding on an amp to run subs, I always recommend using a Class D over a Class AB.
The Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D is 350RMS 1400Peak. So you can safely throw more to it than the BP300.1 can produce. The BP300.1 is 300 x 1 @ 1 and 2 ohms, but that's based on a 14.4volt electrical system. Real world 12volt systems should get somewhere between 250 and 290 watts @ 1 and 2 ohms.
Have you considered the JBL BP600.1 amp? It's double the power of the 300.1, you could still run your 12.1 safely, and would keep you from having to buy another amp if you bought another Infinity KP 12.1 sub. Just a thought.
Either way, the JBL BP series would be the way to go...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know if the JBL amp is actually a Class D amp or not, cuz I've never seen any mention from JBL about it specifically being that type.  But its characteristics are certainly similar to those of a class D amp.  And just like a Class D amp, the 300.1 is a much better amp for subwoofers than the 2-channel 180.2

The Kappa Perfect subs are sweet and I really think you can push 500 watts RMS to them very easily.  Their RMS power handling is very underated in my opinion.  Still, you said you're trying not to lose your hearing, and with that in mind I'd say you'll probably never use more than 200 watts RMS for 90% of the time.

If you're sure you'll never get a 2nd sub then the 300.1 will be plenty power for you and your listening.  If, however, you think that at some point down the road you might want to add a 2nd kappa perfect, you might want to really think about getting the BP600.1 like Wvsquirrel suggested.  It's just that you get twice as much power, but the amp itself is no where near twice as expensive--so it's a pretty good bargain in terms of watts per dollar.  But then again, the 300.1 is a great amp for the price as well.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
JollyGreenGiant 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

It's been like a week, but I just wanted to let you know (if you care) that I decided to go with esmith69's and wvsquirrel's advice (I want to thank you two personally, I’m pretty sure you have helped me in the past, and I know I’ve seen you around adding your input and wisdom in other people’s forums) and I got a BP600.1 off of eBay.  It’s used, but I got it for $142.50 plus 15 shipping, which I think is a reasonably cheap.  It was sent out yesterday and I expect it roughly Thursday or so.  Now the next step is getting a sub.  Before I go ahead and get the Kappa Perfect 12.1D, does anyone have an opinion on the 12 inch VQ?  I did some research on the 12.1 on different review sites, especially <>www.carreview.com, and everyone seems to love it, but I can probably save up a little more money if the VQ is a much better sub.

-Jon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic