icon

blown sub ? please help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

My question is can an enclosure affect a sub performance so much that it can change its power handling capabilities.  My friend has 2 15s inside a really small box with no divider.  His magnet is about 1 inch from the back wall of the box.  He keeps blowing his subs and i want to know if the box can have something to do with it.  All his connections are fine amp wasnt turned up high and the max on his subs were 1000 watts. his amp was only 800 watts also.  so could the enclosure be a possible reason i know it may be alot of other possibilities but the connection were fine wired up in series.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
you gotta have a divider.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Can not having a divider cause sub to have big problems like blowing them.

pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

not having a divider won't cause them to blow, unless you don't have the right size box

list what make and model subs you have and how big the box is, e.x volume size 1 cubic ft

cuz if you have to big of a box then it could have caused one to blow so won't know untill you tell me the specs on what you have and maybe just cuz you have to much power going to them

ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't make a box with the correct dimensions, it will definitely affect the sub, maybe even blow it.  The problem is the lack of power it can get.
--Adam
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Boxes do not have to have dividers in them, seen and heard plenty without dividers. Now personally i would have one but it is not a requirement. Sounds like the box is too small. 2 15's and the magnet almost touches the back?? 15's gotta have some room to work correctly. Like the others asked....how big is the box?? Is it a sealed box or is it ported??
thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
I do not know the exact measurements of the box but it looks like a truck box kind of it is really small.  It is a sealed box also i keep blowing subs on the same side of the box third one. 
thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

the subs are 500 watts rms 1000 watts peak kicker CRV `15's

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

It isn't mandatory on your box having a divider but as tdsteele said it depends on multiple variables. Box size, speaker requirements, and also the way the subs are wired.

The type of amp and settings of the gain on the amp compared to the radio is also something to look at. The amp gains may be down but if your friend is turning the radio up louder to compensate he is creating distortion which will also blow the subs.

The amount of room between the magnet and box walls is not important in all situations but in this app. it seems not to be the issue. With a sealed box the only issue that is really prevailing is the total amount of airspace.

emarald 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
If the box is too small the sub movement will be severly restricted, aka very low xmax, this results in much lower air cooling due to less cone movement and i suspect the sub's capacitance is negatively affected, all of which results in the coil overheating irrespective of the rms rating.
I need more power.....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic