icon

How many DB's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, i have an audiobahn AWT15X and was wondering how many DB you think i will be able to hit with it.  i will be running an alpine V12, im not sure the model # but i know the amps is 1400watts RMS, it;s one of the old V12's, biggest one they had, or i will be running 2 memphis 1000D's
ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
definitely go with 2 memphis amps.  as far as dB, it depends on the car, enclosure, whether you use sound damping, power supply, etc...
--Adam
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
well, i plan on using some dymant, probably just the trunk and doors for now, and it;s a 1997 dodge neon, and well, im going to try and make the box 5 cubic feet, not sure if iw ill have the room or not, ,maybe a bit smaller
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
well, i plan on using some dymant, probably just the trunk and doors for now, and it;s a 1997 dodge neon, and well, im going to try and make the box 5 cubic feet, not sure if iw ill have the room or not, ,maybe a bit smaller, probably just one maybe 2 optima batteries, and an alternator, about 140 amp or so
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  
this is the kind of n00b question that made me leave the last car audio forums that I used to frequent...
basically put, it would be very difficult for anyone to predict what you will hit without knowing absolutely everything about your system...and very indepth knowledge...you say 5 cubic feet, but in what shape?
it will be looud but not outrageously so, and it will sound like ass...what frequency do u plan on hitting with it? what is the resonant frequency of your car?
a 140A alternator will not power the single 1507 alpine u speak of if you have any kind of front stage amp, let alone two monster D class memphis amps...they will blow in short order, most likely cooking out the FETs...dont believe me? I can show you pictures...
simply based on that fact your car will not be loud for long...try to learn some of the principles you are getting into here before you concern yourself with how many db you will hit...you will be able to do much more that way...

97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
so how big of an alt do you reccomend i get, how many batteries, and the box with just be a square i guess, unless someone can give me a better idea?
chevylove 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
Dude I hope you don't waste your time building a 5 cub. ft. box and then try to put it in a neon.  Id like to see the look on your face when you discover that it won't fit through the hole in the trunk.  I built a 3 ft. box for my sister's cavalier which is the same size as a neon and even after measuring beforehand to make sure it'd go in I had a hell of a time getting it in the trunk.....had to squeeze, and i mean squeeze it through from the cab.  Not to mention that if your whole trunk is a box your sq is going to be about the same as a phone.  You gotta give the subs some room to breathe man.  one last thing....what single 15" sub in this world needs 5 ft of airspace?  Anyways sorry to rag on you but you set yourself up.  I'd go with a smaller box and less amp.  Good luck w/ the install.
Drew   "Fuses are only 10 cents...go for it."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic