icon

superglue a sub enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
messiah9966 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
I have recently been on the alpine website and viewed the install photos for their new civic. I noticed that when building their sub enclosures, instead of using wood glue and brads to assemble the enclosure, they used what they called superglue and duraglass to reinforce the joints. i know what duraglass is, but as far as using superglue to hold the mdf together? If they mean crazy glue when they say superglue, then in my past experience with crazy glue all the wood does is absorb it and the glue does not work. Does anybody know exactly what type of glue they are using for these enclosures? If so, I would love to get my hands on some. Any help would be appreciated.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
I use ProBond polyurethane glue and it works very well...
as far as this superglue they speak of I couldnt really help you out...I just know that the ProBond stuff works really well...
messiah9966 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
doesn't probond take a long time to dry though? I think the idea behind them using superglue is because it dries almost instantly, therefore speeding up work time.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
I like the probond stuff too, its thicker than normal wood glue and doesnt run all over as much. I really dont see a point to using super glue, im sure it would be all over everything if i tried to do that and i dont think it would really be all that strong anyway compared to wood glue. If you are in a big hurry why not just screw it and enforce with the duraglass, why bother with the superglue? Unless like you said its something else not usual cyanoacrylate superglue.
chevylove 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

Well first off mdf isn't pourous because it's made partly of glue itself so it wouldn't absorb the superglue, but that doesn't really matter.  Using superglue would just be a wast of time.  Basically the whole point of the adhesive used while building a box is to create an airtight seal.  You could use duraglass, wood glue, or whatever you want.  I always recommend lining the inside seals w/ window caulk to make sure not even a pinhole of air leaks.  And line the inside w/ dynamat spray or its equivelent.....it'll have a bigger effect on sq than any choice in adhesives.

Drew   "Fuses are only 10 cents...go for it."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic