icon

mixed speaker models

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigDave 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ihave 4 rockford fosgate speakers two of one model and of two of another is it ok to put in one single box together If so what would be the best way to wire them they are all single voice coil  4ohm
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, it should be ok as long as the divided RMS output of your amp does not go over the RMS rating of each sub (going over a little is ok, but you'll get longer performance from the subs if you stick near the RMS ratings).
When you refer to 2 different models, are you trying to say 2 different sizes? Like two 10's and two 12's? Or are you saying the same size subs, just 2 newer and 2 older?
If you are using 2 different sizes then you need to adjust the volume accordingly. You would be better off using a seperate enclosure for each sub, or 1 enclosure for 1 model, and 1 enclosure for the other model.
If your amp is a 1ohm stable Class D amplifier, then you can wire them in parallel like this for a 1ohm total load...
mixed speaker models -- posted image.
If your amp is a 2-channel 2ohm stereo stable amplifier, then you can wire 2 subs in parallel to 1 channel, and the other 2 subs in parallel to the other channel like this....
mixed speaker models -- posted image.
If you give the specific make and model numbers of the subs and amp then I can tell you if it will work or not.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
You should never mismatch subs in a single enclosure your just asking for trouble. My suggestion is either 1 box with 2 seperate chambers housing the same subs in each or 2 seperate boxes. And listen to "wvsquirrel" on the wiring he seems to be the source of all wiring amps around here!!!
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Not by a long shot mixed speaker models -- posted image. It took me a while to fully understand the diferent wiring methods (especially where DVC's were concerned), and I still don't have Ohm's Law down perfect. I still have a long way to go before I can compare myself against some of the better installers here. But if it wasn't for the help of all the others on this site then I wouldn't be able to pass on even half the knowledge that I have now. But thanks for the compliment nedgeworth, its much appreciated mixed speaker models -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

i would only mix two with two different amps so you can use the correct frequencies for each set

--Adam
wvsquirrel 
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Even then it's dangerous. Without knowing the model numbers and their specs there are too many variables that can go wrong with mixing subs in the same enclosure. You have to take the possibility of different displacements into account when calculating the volume. If the different models reflect different size subs, then you also have different enclosure specs to calculate.
It's best to use seperate enclosures for each sub or each model. Now that is not to say that you can't combine the different enclosures into 1 main housing (outter shell with the different chambers inside) and still maintain the same effect.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic