icon

99 Alero factory amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
angela27 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone knew the location of the factory amp in a 1999 Olds Alero? I'm thinking that the factor amp might be shot, because if i turn the volume up (especially if its got bass) the stereo will shut down and usually doesn't come back on for days. Also, is there an easy way to bypass it, just for the time being? We are going on a trip and not having any music sucks!! I appreciate any input. Thanks!
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
To my knowledge, most alero's do not come with a factory amp, and therefore its probably a problem with the unit in the dash. Furthermore, if the vehicle was factory amplified (it would probably be behind the glove box), bypassing it and keeping the factory radio would not work, since the amp would be necessary to produce the singal that goes to the speakers. The best thing for you to do is to purchase a new in dash unit, since getting a new delco radio from any GM dealer will likely cost around $500.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

if thats the case...if i where you...go out and get a pioneer deck..that'll sound better and then you can add on too your system later on..ie subs

also not nessicarly is the amp near the source...my ma's amp in her sentra for the sub is right under it..

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
angela27 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
i'm pretty much positive that it does have the factory amp according to the window sticker and manual its a 6 speaker system with a 100 w amp. I did have  another head unit in only to have the same problem. We figured it was the aftermarket radio that was causing the problem so we put the original head unit back in only to have same problems. Any other reasons why the stereo would shut off at higher volumes? I'm desperate and getting ready to use a portable radio. 99 Alero factory amp -- posted image. Also, my knowledge of stereo's and installation is  limited...so please bear with me! thanks!
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
it works..but once you turn it up it doesnt...im thinkin its the amp...you install it yourself or have like best buy do it?  id take it to a stereo shop and ask them to test it..thats what im thinkin.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
did you look under the rear deck, that's where mine is in my '98 Intrigue
--Adam
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

When you say "shut down" does the whole stereo go blank (as if it were unplugged)?  Or do you just lose the sound output?

Also, you said something about when you have it turned up loud with bass-heavy music makes it die.....when it's at this volume does it sound distorted at all? or does it still put out a clean signal?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
angela27 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
The whole stereo shuts off, even the clock on the radio doesn't display or keep time. And the sound output is clear. It now seems its to the point that it doesn't even matter what kind of music is being played, if I turn up the volume it just turns off. The only way it stays playing is if you have the volume at a barely audible level. 99 Alero factory amp -- posted image.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

In that case I don't think the problem has anything to do with a factory amplifier.  It sounds like there's something wrong with the radio itself, like it's overheating too quickly or something like that.

You said it takes a few days before it comes back on....after those few days when it comes back on (or you turn it back on, whichever one) does it still have the correct time displayed and does it keep your presets?  Or does it lose all those?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
angela27 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
We didn't think it was the radio itself either.... until we changed radio's..First we had an aftermarker radio in and the problem started and then we put the stock radio back in and problem continued..The time doesn't stay....but for whatever reason the presets always do.. (on the stock radio). The presets stayed even when the radio was taken out the first time and then put back in (How, I don't know)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic