icon

Question on amps, if anyone can help?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
OKay so I am going to using an amp similar to the one that you are getting around that power range. Will I need a capacitor using that kind of amp and my JBL BP1200.1.Or in your opinion will I be fine.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Personally i wouldnt bother with a cap. Its all about the alternator which i think will do fine. I'd just get the system in and see what happens. No point in worrying about it now.
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
How much does a new alternator run?approximately?
StereoRep 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
esmith69 wrote:

Just to clarify a couple of things.  First, the BP1200.1 has two sets of RCA inputs so that you can get bass even if you have your head unit faded to the front or to the rear.  If you always keep the fade in the middle though then you can hook up only one set of the RCAs and it will sound the same.

The amp has 3 dials for adjusting stuff:  input level ("gain") adjustment, bass boost adjustment, and low-pass filter frequency adjustment.  The LPF can be set as low as 32 Hz or as high as 320 Hz, and you will need to play around with it a bit to see what sounds best in your vehicle.

This amplifier does NOT have preamp outputs, so if you're going to be using a 4-channel amplifier in addition to the JBL amp you'll either need a 4-channel amp that has preamp outputs, or a head unit with 3 sets of preamp outputs (front, rear, sub).  If the head unit only has one set of outputs then you'll be better off using a crossover to direct the appropriate frequencies to the appropriate amplifier.  This also applies if you have a factory head unit and will be using a line output converter to get a single set of RCA outputs.

Technically the BP1200.1 can use high-level inputs and you could send the RCAs from the head unit to the 4-channel amplifier, but I always recommend using RCA type connections whenever possible, to give you the best sound quality and the highest S/N ratio.  What kind of head unit is in the vehicle right now?

hmmm....
StereoRep 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
You have to feed all 4 of the inputs of the amp to get proper output but you don't have to hook a front and rear input into it.  Just use a pair of Y RCA splitters.  That's what they always recommended and that's what we did even on display.
hmmm....
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
The Head Unit that I am getting has three sets of RCA Things so I'm fine in that department,but my main concern is to get all of my equipment in without having to buy a new alternator because I don't have that kind of cash.
This is what I'm getting:
JBL BP1200.1
one or 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12"
some front and rear speakers (not decided yet)
and amp to run those (not decided yet)
I may not need an amp for my front and rear speakers once I get them and put them in they may sound just fine.If they do then I will just have to find some way to block the bass from coming through them so I don't blow them.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
just keep the overall bass level at 0 on the head unit, and let the subs handle all of the bass for you.  That way you'll also be able to make the whole system louder without it distorting
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
StereoRep 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

I can't say as if I agree with the post that says "I would not bother with a cap".  That is totally wrong.  Maximize all areas of your charging system by upgrading power and ground wires even from the stock alternator to the battery, battery to ground, etc.  An alternator is an expensive step that I have always done dead LAST due to the cost.  Your best bet IS a cap.  Maybe something larger than the typical "1 Farad" cap.  Look at something like Lightning Audio's 25 Farad cap...or maybe even the 40, 50, or 100 farad model depending on your budget.

What kind of vehicle is it going in again?

hmmm....
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
A Ford F-150
StereoRep 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
V8 or V6?  What year?  Any idea of the stock alternators output?  You can call the dealership and find out.  I still say don't change the alternator.  Maximize what you have before going to the extreme expense. 
hmmm....
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic