icon

amp power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mhollis42 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought an amp and sub package.  I was wondering if it is safe to tap into the constant 12V power source of my deck instead of getting the power straight from the battery?  Also, do I tap into the 12V power source controlled by the ingnition for the remote wire from the amp?  If my question makes no sense...then maybe a simple wiring diagram for my new system would help.  I have a 98 olds intrigue.

-Mark

Mark
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Your constant 12 volt wire is way too small to power your amp.  I really never heard of anyone doing this im not an expert but that sounds dangerous.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
NO NO NO! You must get your power directly from the battery. I would suggest you get an amp wiring kit http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.asp?product_id=KOLAK44if you have not already done so. As far as the remote wire goes your car dose not have a remote connection lead so you will need to tap into the yellow wire going into the back of the radio. Now you will need a voltage tester to verify that the yellow wire has + 12 volt power with the ignition on and no power with the ignition off. Once you verify and tap that wire you will want to run it to the remote connection on your amp. Here is a good tutorial on how to install an amp. http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/S-bXYRgyu1nTf/amplifiers_install_steps.html
ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

I also have a 98 intrigue with an amp, you can run the power cable off of the top of the fuse box under the hood since the battery is so far away from the nearest grommet.  By the way, the grommet is straight under the steering wheel, 3 in. to the left, (it took me a while to find).  After you run the power cable to the engine, the rest of the install is the easiest I have ever done.

The remote wire can be linked in conjuction with the remote for the Bose factory amp if there is one in your car.  If not, listen to bberman. But I did the entire install (cd player, amp, subs, and 6x9's) in about 5-6 hours.  That's pretty fast for everything.  Intrigues seem to make it easy for car audio inthusiasts, good luck.

--Adam

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic