icon

Lights dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Jbl 1200.1 on 2 kicker cvr 15's and i have them wired in series and have not even bridged the amp yet.  My lights are already dimming my question is instead of getting another altenator can i put another battery in my trunk and run my amp off of that.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

The only advantage to a 2nd battery is if you use the system with the engine off. But when the car is started and you are driving around you are reliying on the alternator to power your stereo system, cars elecrical system  and charge both of your batterys. so by adding a 2nd battery you are putting more stress on the charging system. The only real soulution is to get a high output alternator that can handel the load. Also when you upgrade the alternator dont froget to upgrade all the power and ground connections inbetweent the alternator , battery and chasis.

thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
So there is no way to just connect an amp directly to another battery and get voltage through that.  Not running the battery to the altenator.  Or does it have to go throught the altenator.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

Yes you can but it would be for a short amount of time and then you would have to hook it up to a battery charger and recharge the battery. But for your everyday setup you will need a new alternator. Your 1200.1 alone uses about 95 amps at its max.

thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks really appreciate it.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.