icon

95 altima install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigmurf127 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

i'm putting this radio in for a guy and it is turning into a disaster. It will not work in his car but if i put it in mine it works fine. the nissan wiring harness has a 3 wires the head unit doesn't require, a stock amplifier ground(its a universal harness and i'm sure this car doesn't have a amp but i grouned it anyway, a remote wire, and the illum and dimmer wires., but it won't turn on, the cd player acts like its not getting power. i checked the ground several time and its fine. Also i hooked up the power antenna correctly but it won't come on when ignition switch is engaged. Am i forgetting something. I've done like a dozen head unit installs and this one has taken longer than all of them put together.

i've checked power with an ohm meter and i'm getting constant but not ignition power.  His old cd player was ruined when he left the sun roof down and it poored in rain.  Could that have shorted out the ignition wire behind the dash?

using a blaupunkt mp300 cd player

sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ok fromt he tech sheet I required from this website, it says that your switched wire from the actual vehicle harness is BLUE.  Check that with your meter and if it is your switched when you have your key turned to ACC then run another wire (preferably red) to the deck and wire it in from there.  You might be right where the rain caused some damage.  Check your fuses too, maybe one pooped on you.  Check them all because a lot of them are interconected.  It also says that yout ground should be connected to the chassis because the factory wire harness does not have one so make sure its a good ground connection.  And your illumination is RED / BLUE and your dimmer is RED / YELLOW and your antenna trigger (the blue wire from your HU) is GREEN / WHITE from the factory harness.  Check all connecions and make sure to re-tape everything so there is no bare wire.  If you have any other questions or if anything else arrises PM me or write back we can trouble shoot from there.  Hope that helps....
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
check all your fuses in both the car and in the engine compartment the antenna only goes up when the radio is turned on not when ignition is turned on. but check both the yellow wire on the back of radio for constant and the red wire for acc power. if you dont get power out of both when the key is on check fuses.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
bigmurf127 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
i checked the blue ignition before the harness, no power, and all fuses in the engine bay are fine and i can't find the dash fuses but i have a feeling its below the steering wheel cover.  The wierd thing it that it worked once, put it in the dash only to find out it won't work anymore, then i busted out the multimeter and checked the wires.  I'm gonna check the dash fuse panel 2morrow.  Its just pissing me off cuz i've down over 15 head unit installs, never had problems close to this. 
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
clearly you have already found the problem - if the harness is not getting switched power the radio isnt going to turn on. Now you can either look for the fuse that has blown and is causing this to not work, or you can run a new (fused) ignition wire directly from the steering column to provide you with switched 12v to get the radio to work.
FYI- Off the top of my head I believe the fuses are underneath the left side of the drivers underdash - check the cars owners manual if you cannot locate them, it will direct you to their location
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

what viper said is correct.  There should be a flap right next to the hood release.  I have a 97 altima and thats where the fuse box is in mine. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic