icon

subs in the corners?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
i would like to place my subs in the front of the trunk, towards the taillights, but have my trunk as well. for this reason, i would like to place my subs in the corners, one at each taillight. the car is a 2000 nissan altima.
how would the bass output be with the subs in these corners, and which way/direction should they face? i am going more for loud bass output, as i will take care of SQ bass later. i am going to use sealed enclosures.
what would you reccomend i do with the amps, any suggestions of custom installs? i'm willing to try things, such as a custom fiberglass floor/wall, use of plexiglass, etc. i have already made one install for my trunk, but i'm not 100% happy with it. if you can give me suggestions or a link to a similar install, it would be great.
thanks for any info/suggestions everybody!
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
OK so here you go...try this:  Make a fake floor for your amp/s.  You can either display the amps so that they are between your two subs that face the corners (which will sound pretty good for loud bass) and you could either put the amps under plexi with a fan under the plexi or so that the amps are flushmounted to the fake floor so heat can get out. Let's see you could also build a plexi wall for those two subs in the back of the trunk so that they are sealed but then you wouldn't have them in the corners of the car, so scratch that.  Yeah I think Building a fake floor would be pimp you could also put neons on the left and right of the amps under the plexi so that you get a sweet color glow.  but hope that helps... I can guide you through some stuff if you need help
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
thanks sonicsound.
but yeah, i kinda have that false floor thing goin on right now with the plexiglass over the amps and a neon light connected to my trunk light, but i want the subs towards the taillights, so time for change, hahaha. i'll consider another false floor, but the thing is i don't want to lose height in my trunk, but i don't know what i'd be putting in my trunk that is that tall, so i guess that will still be an option.
anything else?
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
anybody have any input please???
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
sssssss27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2003 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Can you get us a picture of your trunk? I have some ideas in my head but I have to see how the trunk lay out is.
stegen 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

Whatever you do, dont have the subs facing eachother. like ------> <--------

The sound waves will cancel eachother out.

aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
sorry sssssss27, i dont have any pics. just picture a somewhat large trunk, maybe like the new corollas or something? the seats can be folded down, which at this moment fold down to plexiglass which reveals the inside of my current box. just let me know what you have in mind. anybody else, input would be greatly appreciated.
oh, and by the way, does anybody know if it would be okay to face the subs towards the opposite corner in the front (i.e. the left sub faces the right headlight, the right sub faces the left headlight.) that's what i'm thinking of doing. would the bass output still be loud, or would i have to face the sub towards the back?
sssssss27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
I don't how big your subs are or the airspace they need but if you want you could try and do them like this guy has done. http://www.sounddomain.com/id/404040
Unless you are running two 18"s then your box won't be nearly as big as his.
Another way you can set it up is like the Mini Cooper Diamond Audio has. Diamond Audio Mini Cooper
Instead of having it off to the sides you could put them in the back corners and if your amp is smaller enough mount it in between them.
Gilateen 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
whats the green tape used in the installation portion of the Mini? would that be used before glassing? who makes it?
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
i'll be using 2 12" punch hx2's. so if i invert my subs, i would want to switch the polarity of each sub (i.e. connect the positive of the amp to the negative of the sub)? and if i do invert, would that save me airspace inside the enclosure?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic