icon

Changing the impedance of speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
awd_sr 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

I want to run my amp into a 2 ohm load, but my speakers are 4 ohms.  Is it safe to use a 4 ohm resistor in parallel with the speaker to reduce the total impedance to 2 ohms?  This will give me like 25 extra watts per channel...

If this wont work, any other suggestions?  These are for my midrange speakers (6.5" Infinity Reference and 5.25" Infinity Kappas) Thanks

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hey   awd_sr,

Adding resistors is not a good idea.  If you want extra power buy a larger amp or wire another pair of speakers in parallel.  Don't forget that when you half the impedence you double the distortion which is an awfull trade-off on mids and tweets - exactly the frequency range where distortion is most evident.  At 2 OHMS the amp will probably work harder, overheat faster, saturate quicker, shutdown sooner.   Also don't believe everything you read about amp power.  Did they reach the watts mentioned on speakers or through resistors?  At what input voltage and frequency were these measurements taken?  Most amps on the market are running at 50% efficiency at best and class D is around 80%.  50% of 25 is a mere 12.5 per channel.  Is it worth it? Changing the impedance of speakers -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
a: you won't find a resistor that will dissipate enough heat to do what you suggested
b: all you'd do is dissipate more heat through the resistor, taking twice the power from the amp, with no change to the speaker you have. the speaker's impedence is a characteristic of it's design. the only way to make it louder is to use more power into that specific speaker (read: bigger amp), or by adding another set of *identical* speakers in parallel which will add +3dB to the SPL of those speakers
When you wire four 4-ohm speakers in parallel, on a stereo amp, the reason the amp puts out twice the power is that each 4 ohm speaker is drawing the same amount of power as would two of them, thus a stereo 4-ohm load with two speakers gives saym, 50 watts per speaker. a 4-speaker 2-ohm load still gives 50 watts per speaker, but to 4 speakers instead of two, thus twice the power output from the amp. see why a resistor wouldn't work?
I recommend you study a basic electronics principle called "Ohm's Law."
This will give you a vastly better understanding of how speaker wiring and amplifiers really work.
I also recommend selling your amp and buying a larger one if ya need move volume without distortion.
good luck!
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
awd_sr 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help guys,

I actually know Ohms law pretty good, I guess I tried to relate basic E.E. principles to the audio world, i.e. resistances in parrallel etc.  I guess I will just go for the better amp.  Right now I'm using an el cheapo Jensen amp.... I know, Iknow...  I'll look into an Alpine 4 channel or somethin, my buddy gets great deals at Circuit City, he used to work there.

I never knew there was a direct(inverse) relationship between distortion and resistance.  See, I learn somethin everyday at this site...;)

thanks again guys

GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
distortion and impedence load, yes, because as you increase the power output, you put the internal components of the amp under more stress, you increase the inefficiency due to heat output(loss), and so forth, which increases your distortion. This also has an adverse effect on your s/n ratio.
EE principles do apply, you just need to know enough about electrical engineering to know how to apply a bit more advanced electrical, and acoustic principles to get the correct/accurate results.
Most of car audio is really just physics in the end anyway
-GlassWolf
hihoslva 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2002 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have considered adding a second midrange speaker parallel to my component set, fo the same reason listed above - I could halve the impedance and double the power.

Currently, I am running an Infinity crossover and silk tweeter (Reference series), and I swapped out the Infinity 6.5" woofer for a Rockford Fanatic Q on each side.  Currently, at 4 ohms per side, my amp is putting out 90 watts per channel.  Adding another 4 ohm load in parallel could boost my output to 180 watts per side.

Is this just not a good idea?  I was considering doing this, figuring that a comp set and maybe a coax in parallel running 180 watts per side @ 2 ohms would be considerably louder than a single comp set with 90 watts @ 4 ohms.

Are we saying here that this is not a good idea?  Why will my SQ suffer?  I'm just a bit unclear as to why this would not work, or why there would be excessive distortion.

Thanks

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
Changing the impedance of speakers -- posted image.
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2002 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
that will work.
what will happen is this:
now you have one pair of 6.5" mids and get 90 watts RMS each
if you add another pair of identical mids, and wire tehm in parallel with the first pair, you will double the amplifiers power output (total WRMS) and effectively give 90 watts each to all four speakers. not 180 watts to each. you're not just doubling the output of the amp you're also doubling the load on it as well.
What you will get, is an effective +3dB increase in output in the range those 4 speakers cover in your sound curve.
-wire two identical pair of speakers, identically crossed over, in parallel, they each get full power of the amp's per-channel output.
-wire two pair as above, but in series, and they divide the amp's power output betwixt them.
I ran a similar setup myself once in my competition car.
I had 4 orion 5" mids in parallel, 4 orion soft-domes in series, and 4 orion hard-domes in series, all on an orion 2125SX, so the mids got 125WRMS each, and all of the 8 tweeters got about 63WRMS each. made a very smooth curve in that car.
-GlassWolf

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic