Many Many Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry to be so annoying, here are more questions relating to remote start:

8) The manual says that I need to make my connection to starter output on the key/ignition side of a neutral safety switch.  Do I have one of those?  Any idea where it might be?  And is it just a relay? (So I know what it looks like.)

9) There is an output for Heater / AC.  Do I need that?  Seems like I could just have my heater switched on ahead of time and it would start with the truck.  What does the remote start do with it that I would need this wire for?

10) How does a transponder bypass work?  Does it copy the code from my key?  Is there a possibility of someone using it to start my truck and drive off?

11) Might sound stupid but do the alarms have wires comming off of them or do I have to solder directly to the alarm?  Pictures show no wires so I curious.

12) Alarm and Remote Start both say they have ground output for dome light.  Can I just connect this to the GEM and get my dome light to come on?  (Assuming I have negative door triggers like everyone tells me, I have yet to test it.)

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Damn your annoying!
just kidding.
answers
8) Your starter wire from your ignition switch, if you cut the wire, the wire there talking about is the side that goes to the starter.
9) Yes! since you are not turning your key in the ignition to start the truck you need this hooked up to power the heater/ac.
10) basiclly you have it.
11) most alarms have a wiring harness that plugs into it. Rarelly do they have the wires permanently attatched.
12) Don't understand what you mean by GEM. Just connect to door pin (usually) or whatever your spec's tell you your dome light is.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

Okay 4 more questions and I'll leave ya'll alone (hopefully).

13) How big are LCD remotes? About the size of a normal remote?

14) Do they break or scratch easy? (I have lots of keys.)

15) Do the remotes have an antenna that needs extended to transmit such a long range? (Since there is a chance of me breaking such a thing.)

16) Where can I find me a transponder bypass that does not requre a key and works on my '03 Ranger?  Most I've seen online say they only work on 2001 and earlier models OR they require me to go get me another key made. :(

unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Doh, I'm back.

17) Is a single glass break sensor enough to cover the whole truck?

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
10. Technically, a good thief could use any bypass module to bypass the car's anti-theft system. All they would need to do is ground the wire that goes to the module from the alarm. It is not very likely though I bet.
12. The 760 has a dome light output that you just need to use a relay and then tap into the door trigger wire which you will already have tapped for the alarm features. That remnds me that you need a bunch of diodes for that car when installing an alarm.
13. The transmitter is fairly large.
15. The antenna is not extendable.
16. I know of a guy who has a no key required module but it still requires you to put a coil around the key cylinder, so it really isnt much better than the universal modules. If you get a universal module, just file the teeth down so it cant be used in the ignition. Program it first though.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

OK so with the dome light output I need to send power to the light with a relay instead of just sending the ground into the GEM?  That's too much work. lol

So far I haven't been able to solder anything, got a post in General about that.  Hopefully I'll get it figured out before next month.

Thanks for the help. :)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic