icon

Use peel and seal for sound dampening?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phamine 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I've heard people using the roofing material at home depot as sound dampening in a car. I've also heard that they are not meant to be used on verticle surfaces. Any input?

I was looking at partsexpress.com and this seems feasible to my use. I just want to stop my doors from vibrating

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-020

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

What ever you do don’t use the roofing material. It dose help to prevent rattles but it dose not stick and will end up falling off. Trust me the clean up on it is a mess when you have to pull it off and do it the correct way. I would suggest that you get a product called BROWN BREAD http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

yea dont go with tar based products, when it gets hot it smells like your car was just paved inside

phamine 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
bberman1 wrote:

What ever you do don’t use the roofing material. It dose help to prevent rattles but it dose not stick and will end up falling off. Trust me the clean up on it is a mess when you have to pull it off and do it the correct way. I would suggest that you get a product called BROWN BREAD http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

How long did it stick for you? I've been talking to a few members on preludeonline.com who have had it on their car coors for less than a month w/o problems.

Use peel and seal for sound dampening? -- posted image.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
It depends mostly upon the weather, I had it where it stuck for 6 months and I have had it where it fell off in 3 days.  If its cold out it will fall off and if it’s hot it will melt off. But I can guarantee you that within 6 months your windows will be making a scraping sound from the aluminum backing when it falls off and rubs against the window. Just do it right the first time learn from my experiences.  I can guarantee you that you will spend more money and a whole lot more time in the long run if you go for the roofing / AC product. Plus there is a big difference in the amount of road noise the Brown Bread will block out next to the roofing product.
fordfan 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
What`s the diff between Brown Bread and Dynamat? Never heard of Brown Bread until this posting. Is it cheaper,better, or about the same as Dynamat?
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
it is a bit cheaper and works better in my experience...
it seems to have better adhesion than the Dynamat, especially on the roof...I have tried both in my black car and on the hot days after awhile the Dynamat fell, cuz its one big panel and it heats up quite hot...the Brown Bread has been there for over 2 years and isnt even close to hinting about falling off...
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I think that Brown Bread is a better product then Dynamat. First off it’s affordable 2nd it’s easier to apply and 3rd I feel that it has the same dampening effect as the high end dynamat products.
fordfan 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I was getting ready to order Dynamat but I guess I will look into gettin Brown Bread.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic