icon

what beats harder 2 18's or 3 15's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
i would like to know what would hit harder three 15,s or 2 18's brand doest not matter but i do have audiobahn and crewin vega in mind
goingcrazyonsound
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

audiobahn subs suck. If your looking for SPL..kicker is a good place to go.

those two subs are different in SQ.. vega is SQ and the audiobahn are are SPL.

Kicker its SPL but they sound good.

As for what beats harder...its all in the encloser...a good single 12 could hit 160db

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

damn why does everybody knock audiobahn i have audiobahn 15 aw150 t subs but i have never hooked them up yet i also have one 18 inch cerwin vega back in 1996 and it was hitting hard but that was 96 and every thing else i have heard have been weak. now im a kicker fan of their subs not their amps because i just recently had a kicker1200.1 and the audiobahn amp blew the kicker out of the water hands down

goingcrazyonsound
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would think 3 15's would hit the hardest. Alot of mixed feelings about the Audiobahns on this site, thing is, what sounds good to one person doesnt to another so play it by your own ears. Personally from the subs i've heard if i wanted a spl sub i would go with Rockford. If wanted a combination of spl and sq go with a higher end model Eclipse or Diamond Audio. Do believe there is a guy on here who has an 18" Cerwin Vega Stroker that says it will scare the hell out of people so. Either way, taking  subs that big and throwing thousands of watts of power at them, you're gonna have some serious spl going on.
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Audiobahn amps are great amps..they just didnt do a good job for the subs.

What you putting these into btw? 3 15's will take up a bunch of space.

then another SPL/SQ sub is the JL audio W7.

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
I have a single Stroker 18, and I hit 158.8 with it...scary? for some, heh...
2 stroker 18s would probably be louder than 3 AudioBlah 15s if you can afford to feed them...they arent very sensitive and also arent really a great SQ sub especially when you port tune them to a frequency that will give you great gains...the Stroker likes a higher frequency, I had mine tuned to 62Hz, and anything below sounds like absolute ass...
but the thing you have to think about is doing either setup requires alot of space and alot of money...first you need a freaking hugeass alternator...then big wire...then a car big enough to allow your subs enough room to breathe...big amplifiers are also a must, as well as a deck that wont skip when you touch over 150 db...you are looking at spending alot of money, but if thats what you are looking for, by all means...like I said, IMO and experience, 2 Stroker 18s will be louder than 3 AudioBlah 15s...
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
do they still make the stroker?
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/mobileaudio/index.html

Yep, and i like how they describe them "it's not just a subwoofer. It's a total human rush. 3 models of Competition Subwoofers (12", 15", 18"). In either single or dual voice coil formats. Forget decibels, we're into G-forces."

Look interesting, I know their home stuff is extremely nice. Surprised the 18 likes to be tuned so high though Purds, figured they would be good for the low low notes. Hell my 10's are tuned to about 45 hz. 158.8 with one, yeah, thats pretty damn scary!! lol

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
they sound alot better if you tune them low tdsteele, but you dont get the same volume...I have even heard of people doing SQ competitions with the Stroker 18s in aperiodic enclosures, but they wont hit very hard that way...
the first comp I went to with my Stroker I was ill prepared for what was about to happen...I was silly and didnt use bolts anywhere, and in the middle of my run in the lanes, all of the heads of the screws that held the sub in the box popped off, as well as the screws which held the front of the box down to my floor, and the front of the sub box was jumping so hard that the mic fell off of my window...it was a bit of a site to see, and the looks of wonder and amazement made me kind of proud, except for the feeling of being a total idiot as I just almost destroyed some of my gear, lol...now I am a little smarter and everything is T-nuts and 3/16" bolts...I was going to use 1/4" but didnt want to drill the holes of my sub out that much...
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

The math equation is this...3 15's has a larger totla cone area than two 18's hence more SPL, 15's also have better responce hence better SQ. AudioBahn is a good way to go without spending large amounts of money.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic