icon

Problems W/ Overpowering 5x7s ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigJMan 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased and installed Audiobahn's top of the line 5x7 plate speakers in my 92' Towncar. The model number is ACX680P, and it came standard with 2 crossovers, one for each speaker (high-pass for tweeter, lowpass for 5" woofer"). I replaced all wiring going to the front speakers with 12 gauge wire, and all my power/ground connections are as good as one can make them (2 gauge wire from battery terminal to (1) 2 gauge to (3) 4 gauge distribution block, good mechanically solid 4 gauge ground connection, etc.). So I know my wiring is up to par, but my concern now is that my speakers are getting to much power. Audiobahn says that the ACX680P speakers need 110w RMS each (total power to + - on crossover), so I'm giving them all of that (I have a Audiobahn A240lT amp hookeup to them right now). 

Everything should work great right? Wrong. There's an excessive amount of clipping no matter what gain/volume level is used, even  though I'm using all the specified equipment and it's all hooked up right (I've checked polarity and all that multiple times).  I know that it's clipping for a fact because there's actually 6 blue circular "clipping" lights on the Audiobahn amp that light up whenever clipping occurs, and whenever the volume is turned up the speakers distort like a bitch. I'm thinking that my next option is to get some in-line resistors or something to drop the power getting to my ACX680Ps. I was thinking they can probably only handle about 1/2 of what they're getting. 

Let me know your opinion on this matter, and if anyone has any similar problems or experiences/advice with powering Audiobahn interior speakers.

1992 Lincoln Towncar Cartier
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
Stereo System - Working On It :)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds to me like the input to the amp is too hot.  Are you driving the amp off the factory head unit?

Another possibility is that the amp is defective.

BigJMan 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply,

I'm giving the amp a 2.0v RCA signal from my head-unit, and the amp isn't defective - I just found out that Audiobahn rates it's interior car speakers power consumption in PAIRS. So both speakers need 110wRMS, that means that each one really only needs like 50wRMS or so, so I'm giving my front speakers twice as much power as they need - that's why they're sh*ttin out , which would explain why they sound like they're bottoming-out and clipping.

1992 Lincoln Towncar Cartier
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
Stereo System - Working On It :)
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
From the info you have provided, it sounds like you have an amplifier problem.
Do you have another pair of speakers laying around??? Without installing them run some new leads to another pair of speakers(it doesnt matter what kind, just use a coaxial) see if the problem is still occuring. Then you will know what to do and what the problem is.
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
SOUNS LIKE THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM WITH THE RCAS FROM THE DECK IF THE AMP IS CLIPPING NO MATTER WHAT THE GAIN SETTING IS AT TRY USING A DIIFERNT HEAD UNIT IF THE CLIPPING STILL OCCURS IT IS PRBABLY THE AMP
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic