icon

Amp power wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jepherz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I have a rockford punch 360 driving a 12 sub and I am putting it a USAcoustics 85x 4 watt amp for the speakers. I have 8 guage power wire running into the back of my car and am wondering if 8 guage will be enough. Also, how can i tell what size fuse to be using? I will have one at the battery and one on each connection in the distribution box.
Thanks again,
Jepherz
"Screw nitrous, I'd rather be blown."
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
You have 700 watts total, I would suggest that you use a 4 gauge cable however you can get away with using an 8 gauge cable https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp As far as the fuse goes 700 watts will draw approximately 55 amps.
jepherz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't it say in one of those charts that 700 watts would draw over 100 amps?
just checking
"Screw nitrous, I'd rather be blown."
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
go at least 4awg if not 1/0 awg.
Big Dave
eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

no, 700 watts would not draw over 100 amps..

at 12.8 volts it would take about 54.6875 amps like bberman said.

i agree that 4 ga is more suitable, as the 8 ga may cause your amps to run a bit warmer than you would want them too, depending of course, how much actual continuous current you would be drawing

ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

if you want to get away cheap, just add another 8gauge power wire for the amp you're adding and remember to fuse it at the battery and a 50 amp fuse should be enough for each amp.

steve

A man has got to know his limitations
skahide 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2400W Legacy amp and wasnt sure what gauge wire i needed. It'll be pushing 2    15' subs.  I was told by a friend that if i got an extension cord and pulled one of the 3 wires out i could use it as a amp power wire. He says because it is made to hold AC current it will be able to hold the 2400W from the battery to the amp.  Is this true?   If not what do i need to do so that im getting all the needed power to the amp?
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok first of all....do not use an extension cord as a power cable!  that is ridiculous...matter of fact...smack your friend for me!  second of all....that amp will not truly put out 2400 watts.   but i would recommend 4gauge wire.  and third of all, there is not 2400 watts going from the battery to the amp...the watts are going from the amp to the subs!!!  voltage and amperes of current go from the battery to the amp!
skahide 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I live out in the country so the closest thing i have for car audio is Wal Mart. So i need to get the most heavy duty amp set they have? And what gauge wire do i need to go from the amp to the speakers?  These speakers have two sets of wire connectors, one set on each side. What does that do for me?   Ive never had any speakers over a 12' and have never seen speakers with two sets of wire connectors.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

speedwayaudio1 wrote:
go at least 4awg if not 1/0 awg.

1/0ga for his set up would be rediculious. 2 ga wire for that set up would just be wasting money.

Quad L Handyman services
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic